Die Lorelei 2017

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 26, 2017.

1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Thinking of a different brand, does that do any harm. Only as I can't get Protek quickly or by Friday at least.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I wouldn't bother then.

3. steamcalle

steamcalle New Member

Different brand? like wut?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I looked at that but ended up ordering the Lumberjack wood preserver stuff from cpc as it states the clear can be overpainted. Triple action seems more for fences and the like

7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Went with one coat of preserver, hopefully all will be fine, also got one good coat of Cetol HLS plus on today, only 1/4 tin left :eek:

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

How big was the HLS tin?

9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

5l, I'm sure I've read on Sikkens 1 base coat is enough.

Taken from Sikkens PDF

"Recommended Treatment Schedule Finishing coat - New/ bare large surface areas - 3 coats Maintenance - 1 coat unless surfaces are excessively weathered Base stain - New/bare timber - 1 coat prior to Cetol Filter 7 plus or Cetol THB plus"

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

1 coat of HLS is enough, as you say it's what Sikkens recommend but I'm amazed it's soaked up nearly 5L.

Do let me know how the Filter 7 goes, I would expect it to not soak up as much as you already have a base coat on.

snappyfish likes this.
  11. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Thats what I hope, this was one coat of HLS

[​IMG]

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Brother is coming up Saturday & Sunday to help build the cabin, hopefully the weather will be kind. Don't mind a bit of rain Saturday (its forecast), but Sunday needs to be dry for the EPDM to go on. Fingers crossed. Have got an extra pair of hands on Sunday too. Bacon rolls will be served to keep the troops happy.

Everything is here ready except for the 10x OSB sheets and 13x Celotex that arrive Friday.

snappyfish likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bodgit, you might need a large tarp to hand.:)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yeh I have a few cheap tarps, plus the EPDM can be used to go over the roof once all the timber is on :cool:

Just need a dry spell to get the timbers/sheets in place and when I'm putting the glue on.

15. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Where did you order celotex from? What size OSB did you opt for?

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

11mm OSB and ordered celotex from insulationgiant in the end due to poor availability and price increases over the last 6 months or so. Condells had none in stock and were anyhow more expensive.

Just checked and GA4050 has gone up from £16.48 excl when I ordered last week to £18.48 excl now!!!

Attached Files:

snappyfish likes this.
  17. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Think im gonna have to drop down to 40mm, so TB4000 which is non foil backed? is there a big loss here?

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

TB4000 "Includes low emissivity foil facings" so not sure how its different to GA4000. Should work fine, I reckon any insulation that won't be affected by damp will work just fine.

I just did a quick compare, they look very similar other than TB is available at 40mm whereas GA isn't.

snappyfish likes this.
  19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well its built, mostly. Took more time than I thought and not helped by the rain. Had a few issues:
    - the extra window that I ordered wasn't in the pack! Thankfully it can be retrofitted quite easily so carried on without it.
    - took until early afternoon just to carry all the wood round to the back
    - had 2 different sets of screws and two different sets of nails. No instructions as to which to use where. Use the long gold thin nails for the roof T&G. Galvanised nails I guess are for exterior wood (barge boards), gold screws for the floor boards and silver screws for bearers I reckon (not used)
    - After a few of the roof T&G timbers were in place, we noticed they had different front and backs; one side is a chamfered the other is square. The chamfered side is the show side and should be facing downwards so its visible from within the cabin, but we'd already put a few down by then so the other side is visible. Only I would notice I think, hey ho.

Hopefully will have some help this Saturday to finish the roof. Insulation is cut, need to cut and screw down the OSB3 then apply the EPDM. Then put in floor joists etc etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Spent the weekend making the floor, noggins, battens to support insulation and cutting celotex. That's all now done but it does take quite some time! Joist hangers are held in place by "square twisted nails". Even without the middle legs in place its surprisingly solid. Joists are a mix of 350, 300 and 200 apart in order to miss the outside legs, mainly 300mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

snappyfish likes this.