Different door handles either side of interior door?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Lois Pallister, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Lois Pallister

Lois Pallister New Member

Not sure if it is the carpentry section that I should be asking this question or not.
    And I know that many will think my design odd.

I want the same Victorian style brass style door handle on each door as viewed from the hallway.
    But I want a matt black medieval style handle on the other side of the living room door,
    A more modern brass handle on the inside of the bedroom door,
    A very modern chrome finish handle on the inside of the kitchen door,
    And a chrome and white porcelain handle on the inside of the bathroom door.
    All lever handles on a plate.

I am aware that I will be purchasing twice as many pairs of handles than I need.

My question is this:
    Am I free to select my handles from different UK manufacturers?
    If I do this will I be able to mix and match them?
    Should the spindles all be the same length or may this vary according to the handle design?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You can mix and match to your hearts content. Spindle length might be a problem , but easily solved with a hacksaw. ;););)

3. Lois Pallister

Thanks so much John. So I'm not likely to end up with the opposite problem of the spindle being too short then?

This makes me very happy :)
    I can start making up my 'mood board' images for my slideshow wall paper for each room ;-)

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

New spindles should be supplied with each pair of handles, so you'll have plenty.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

unless you have extra thick doors the spindles should be fine.

6. Lois Pallister

Yay :) Thanks for that guys.

I am decorating my hallway in white but with the door architraves in the colour of the rooms behind them and was originally going to have the different handles on the outside in the hallway but now that I've chosen a Victorian brass light switch and am going to use brass hinges for decoration on the two light fittings I am making myself I think that brass handles will look better.

There will be LOTS of framed images relating to the history of the area I live in and I will be painting the frames to match the door architraves - I do my own picture framing.
    And I also will paint the timber frames that are to surround the light fittings each consisting of 7 cut off clear wine bottles that I'm hoping to be able to find brass SES bulb holders for and will be decorating with matching colours of Swarovski crystals. Always wanted an 'unusual' hallway.

Very excited to get started now :)

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Make sure you stick to the rated wattage for the bottle lampshades!
    o_O

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Lois Pallister

Thanks for your advice :) Yes I will. Going to use the same candle bulbs I use in the chandelier in the living room. There are 7 bulbs there too :)