dimmer with timer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by trucker, Nov 27, 2004.

1. trucker

trucker New Member

Hi
    Can anyone help out with this one
    Is it possible to buy a dimmer that will slowly dim down to zero over a couple of hours reason being it is needed for a bird house and I dont want to go from full light to nothing all at once

Thanks
    Geoff

2. Jonny

Jonny New Member

You may be looking at professional dimmers - the DMX setups used for stage lighting can be programmed to dim over a period of time. Domestic versions have been made available where a large dimmer is located out of the way, and control is via a small faceplate.
    Alternatively, remote control dimmers (plug-in and wired types) sometimes have PC interfaces, which could control this.
    I'm assuming it needs to be fuly automatic? Will a user be present to start the dimming, or do you want it scheduled.

3. trucker

trucker New Member

scheduled if poss and not to expensive, only for a small aviary
    Cheers

4. simondiyer

simondiyer New Member

Hi,

This may do what you are looking for: http://www.wireaway.co.uk/index.htm

I saw them at the ideal home a couple of years ago and they were selling it for childrens rooms. I don't know how fast the dimming is on the courtesy delay.

I've never used one but was interested in using one as you can add light switches without chasing walls.

And as it is (or can be) two way switched using RF you may be able to switch it from the house.

I'd be interested to know if they can be of use,

Hope this helps,

Simon

5. amanyx

amanyx New Member

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Rasberry pi would probably do it for not a lot of money but I've never used one myself.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

12 years:rolleyes:......

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Well, the OP did ask for a slow dimming rate!:p

Rulland likes this.