Direct combination tank replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cristi, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Cristi

Cristi New Member

Hi,

I'm a student and I've recently moved in a studio which has a really old RM Cylinders direct combination tank of 114L of hot water and around 30L of cold. The hot water pressure is absolutely miserable, impossible to have a proper shower. The mains tho is pretty decent.

My question is, as I'm only renting this place for about 5 more months, I want to know if there is a cheap option to get an appropiate pressure to actually have a shower instead of squatting under the bath tap, which is not the most pleasurable position? A plumber came in this morning to fix my mains pressure as there was none of that either, and he told me my only option would be installing an electric shower, but I couldn't properly talk to him about details. Is an electric shower the only option? How about a pump? Or a mixer shower? Or anything really? I live in Reading and I've got no clue about the prices of any kind of operation.

Thank you very much!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If your renting is your landlords responsibility to provide you with showering facilities that are fit for purpose. Without seeing the layout of your flat the easiest option would be to install a shower pump. It sounds as though you already have a mixer shower. An electric shower could pose a lot of problems getting the 10mm cable from the consumer unit to the shower isolation switch and on to the shower in a flat.

Talk to your landlord, ask for him/her to come to site and demonstrate the shower ask for a pump to be installed. Under no circumstances can you make any improvements to his property without his consent and then again why would you pay a few hundred for his benefit in the long run.