DIY Electrical Testing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kevee, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Kevee

Kevee Member

Hi All,

Is there a good explanation somewhere of what testing someone can do on electrical alterations with the standard type of kit a DIY person can pick up for peace of mind?

I am particularly thinking of dead tests prior to energising the system.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Sorry, but apart from test kit ( expensive) you also NEED a lot of prior knowledge and experience to be able to carry this out safely, and to be able to decipher your findings.

3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You could get this from Amazon

upload_2016-12-6_18-47-18.png

It is intended for electricians, as testing should be carried out by skilled persons.
    The minimum you need for dead tests is an insulation/resistance tester. These functions can be found in a multitester like the one the guy in the picture is holding.

Good that you want to learn - but maybe easier to get a spark to do it for you then you will have the piece of mind you desire.

FatHands and CGN like this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I done my 2381 and 2391 with Chris Kitcher at Crawley College!

FatHands likes this.
  5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Learnt from the man who wrote the book - lucky you - and you can still watch him in action.

seneca likes this.
  6. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Chris has a series of video's on You tube well worth downloading for reference and apprentices

tore81 likes this.
  7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

That s a good teacher to have. I have that book and watched all his vids.
    Good teacher

8. Kevee

Kevee Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the links and the name of the instructor. It was nice and clear and helped me understand the tests that can be carried out.

If I am altering a ring main could I put my theory to the test so to speak and cross connect the cables I was going to add to the existing ring main, testing each socket I have added instead of working from the CU?

I know it would not be 100% accurate because it would not be once the extension was added to the ring main but it would be good to have some faith in my wiring and understanding of the testing process.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If you are extending the ring circuit, do your new wiring and then test from somewhere along there, do your cross-connections to get the r1+r2 figure.
    (just as a reminder that should be the sum of L plus E end to end divided by four)