Do I need a Building Warrant?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Steviebhoy66, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Steviebhoy66

Steviebhoy66 New Member

Hopefully someone will be able to give me some guidance

Looking to re-site a window, blocking up the existing opening, then cutting a hole and fit existing window.

I want to do this because I am doing some future DIY & insulation is being fitted in the next 10 weeks, rather the window is moved before then.. may be reducing another window opening as well

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Hi Stevie.

My understanding is that, yep, you need a Building Notice Application (in England at least) which should only cost around £95 for a small job like this.

However, you'll almost certainly also require a Structural Engineer to confirm the lintel required over the new opening.

That will cost around £100 too - or more from some.

So, if you are 100% confident that you will do this properly, many (most?) peeps wouldn't bother.

Chust bear in mind that, when you come to sell, if anyone questions the window locations and asks about the work done, you will be somewhat on t'back foot.

So, your call.

If you decide to do this without BCO/SE, then take good photos of the work, and most people will be sensible enough to not be too concerned...

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you're fitting the windows yourself the applying for a Buildings Regulations notice is the way to go. Fitted all the windows and doors last year. The onus would be on you to specify that the correct hinges, opening sizes where fire egress is concerned. Also toughened glass if the glazing area falls within certain parameters.

I paid £120 to have the BCO come out (3 occasions, including 1 pre-vist) this was based on replacement windows to keep existing openings and no alterations to layout design, this fee covered for upto 10 windows/doors, (there were 11 in total). This was quite a large job as all the openings require single leaf lintels for all openings to exterior brickwork as the original window were Critall type windows with steel sub frame which acted as lintels. Unless the opening is very large pan, I wouldn't bother with a SE as the BCO advised on this himself. Receive completion Notice at the end of the job.

Another route would be to use a FENSA registered installer, but have had 2 x bad experiences with firms so I decided to do myself.

Can you upload pictures of the current window.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  4. Steviebhoy66

Steviebhoy66 New Member

Ok... Live in Scotland & have a no fines house, wimpey built, window is only 48"x24" and is a hall landing window, no escape..

Hopefully somebody has experience of this type of build

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes definitely a SE then.

These types of houses were built after the war, when there was shortage of skilled labor.

The concrete was poured in using formers/shutters.

My maisonette was a wimpey build, while it was in council hands the houses in their ownership had a single skin of brickwork with cavity for insulation, so look like 'normal' houses. There are a few still left where owners had purchased before the work.

In another house (same construction) had a window replace for french doors, this needed a heavy duty breaker to break down the dwarf wall. Because the opening wasn't affected didn't require structural work.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is it 24" wide? or the other way around

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Does this mean your house has a single leaf brick wall?

Or using insulated render?

This is a good thread.

Steviebhoy66 likes this.
  8. No fines houses were nothing to do with a shortness of skilled labour,they were a cheap building method for Wimpey.
    If I remember correctly the external walls were roughly nine to ten inches thick.Internal load bearing walls were stud 4x2 work and other internal walls were only 2x1.
    From what I remember of them it will be a pain cutting out a window and putting in a lintel.

Steviebhoy66 likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Took some plumbers 4-5 hours just to core a 4" hole for the boiler flue.

The best way is not to cut but to break up the stones using a breaker to attack each individual stone, did a core hole in less than half that time using just the breaker.

The core bit will constantly get stuck in the stones and bugger up the drill.

Steviebhoy66 likes this.
  10. Steviebhoy66

Steviebhoy66 New Member

House was built in 1970 & been great.. bought it from my parents... outside wall is only 6" thick... a good SDS hammer drill will take care of it... hopefully.
    Will get in touch with local authority to advise me on all the work I want to do.

Great info from everyone.. thank you

11. I know what they are like,I worked on hundreds of them back in the seventies.

Steviebhoy66 likes this.
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Look at something bigger than a 2kg SDS, although it will do the job. When I had to put in some 9x9" air bricks used the Titan 15kg breaker - 1/2 hour, but very hard to hold horizontally, had scaffolding so safe :)

A chisel point is best, but don't go in to deep at a time as it will get stuck.

Our wall were nearly 450mm thick, that's less a 4" cavity and 4" brick.

Steviebhoy66 likes this.
  13. Steviebhoy66

Steviebhoy66 New Member

4' wide x 2' tall

May borrow a breaker from work...

Thank you all

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did you make the opening?

15. Steviebhoy66

Steviebhoy66 New Member

With discussions with architect. We decided that fitting roof windows would be much better, alot easier than trying to open up in the wall..After getting planning permission I blocked up window.. overcame a few issues.. but got there. Going to fit the roof windows soon:):)

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was thinking of getting a window installed here.

Just for the view would be worth it, dont know why the person who designed the place didn't incorporate one.

The bathroom has a window on the gable.

Would have to get an SE in. A possible future project :)

upload_2016-5-2_19-59-46.png

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've sent a picture and details to a structural engineer for calculations as am planning on putting a window on the gable end. Concrete is about 300mm thick.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had SE engineer come out yesterday to carry out site visit.

He measured the thicknesses of wall etc and calculating the loading so will supply me with all the calculations.

Once I have calculations I can then submit a building regulations notice for alteration to/ making new window openings.

Not sure why the flat didn't have a window on the gable end in the kitchen anyways:confused: Bathroom is on gable end and has a window.

Beautiful view, waking up every morning looking out of the window. There are about 11 or so horses in the field. For the cost its going to be worth it.