Do i Need pastiness for 1200 concrete lintel?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by imcalledal, Oct 7, 2015.

1. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Im installing a new concrete lintel for a new opening in a 9inch wall.
    Its 1200x100x215 20cm into each end of the walls. Walls made of old red brick one end and on celcons the other side (from previous house change) Is that fine to bed lintel on or do i need padstone? can't see them adding anything structurally to this setup myself?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

They help to spread the weight/ load.

Add more when I'm home in a hour.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'm not a expert, but I would say it's only 1200mm, so debatable.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They serve a purpose of distubute the loading over a wider area,even more important where you have a old wall made from bricks of unkown strength, there could be the risk of the bricks crushing under the load, the padstones prevents this.

I've done jobs where I have remove four to six courses of bricks where padstones will sit & rebuilt with engineering bricks, to ensure a structrally sound wall for the padstones to sit on.

You will definitely need a padstone on the celcon block end & I would remove a couple of the celcons & rebuilding with engineering bricks where padstone will fit.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

See this image, it a rsj use, but it's the same method when usingh a concrete lintel.
    They have remove the celcon blocks & rebuilt with engineering due their strength & help to distruute the loading better.

[​IMG]

vivaro man likes this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

It's only 1200mm wide though, KIAB. Surely, the bricks above that will be almost self-supporting?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Mr. Handyandy

Oh, and in your picture, there's no padstone, is there?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, it's the lighter grey colour block supporting rsj.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Green arrow showing padstone.

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Handyandy

I thought padstones were supposed to be slate or metal!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No no handy :) A bit like a standard brick, but a bit more of a hard bar steward!

Compo on top of your lintel. Acrow into place. Bed your pad stone down as well. Next day pack gap with slate and remove acrow.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No HA.

Padstones are made from highly dense concrete with compressive strength of around 50 N/mm2.

Steel & slate is only for packing out, steel usually under rsj for shims, & slate under masonry.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  13. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I reckon it's close to 200mm, but camera angle makes it look worse, agree though abit more length like 300mm sitting on padstone would be nice.:)

200mm should be ok, but I'm old school & always use to over engineered when doing lintels & padstones.:eek::oops:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  15. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I am just DIY and I always over-engineer to be on the safe side. I am probably speaking too soon but nothing I have built has ever fallen down.
    My joiner mate always says something like "You could have got away with using 4" x 2" " when I have used 6" x 3".:rolleyes:

16. T

T Member

Depends on loading, every product has a newton load value. Yet you state its a lintel so no pad needed. if you stated a steel padstone yes. Usually done with engineering bricks

17. T

T Member

mixing materials isn't allowed on housing so this would fail inspection m8 sorry

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O

Never in 30 years plus, have I ever had a BCO fail to pass my work.:)

Where I have put opening through old walls, with bricks of unknown quailty, I have alway part rebuilt the wall with engineering bricks where the padstone for the lintel,rsj is going to sit, & even with Catnic lintels, I still bed them on padstones.
    I would never bed a rsj, lintel or catnic directly on to a Celcon wall, as in photo,I've done it that way & BCO's have always been complementary about doing it that way.:)

vivaro man likes this.
  20. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Thanks all - mixed opinions about it - i think i will email my BCO and ask what they want in this neck of the woods.