Do I still need a mist coat?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by candoabitofmoststuff, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Folks,

When decorating the lounge 11 years ago we had the , (unused), chimney breast replastered...
    The whole room was decorated with wall paper.

It's time to decorate again, but this time we're going to paint. Most of the plaster isn't good enough to paint straight onto, but doesn't warrant being replastered so I'm going to use lining paper and paint over that, (something I've done very successfully in another room in the house)...

The paper has come off the chimney breast very cleanly, and this doesn't need lining paper...

However, bearing in mind I would have siezed it before papering 11 years ago, do I need to give it a mist coat before painting, or wdould you expect it to take paint with no issues. (I will give it a light sanding first).

Thanks,

Regards,

Cando

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only diy here but regarding the chimney breast, biggest problem with painting will be any paste residue left on wall - even after 11 years

Once the water in the emulsion hits it, it's like the PVA problem often discussed on here, the paste reactivates and goes sticky

I would give the wall a couple of good washes down with a hot sugar soap solution, followed by clean water. See if the wall feels a little tacky when wet, if so, wash again then clean water

Obviously the wall needs to then fully dry out
    Light sand down to remove any little bits then mist coat

The mist coat will also highlight any imperfections that you may want to fill / sand before topcoat

Any filler patches, mist coat these as well, then ready for two topcoats

Will look brilliant :)

3. candoabitofmoststuff

Thanks for that. Lets see how I get on!

Regards,

Cando

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi,
    just for info, the mist coat after plastering to help kill the suction and prevent your coat cracking. If your freshly plastered wall (albeit 11 years ago) was wall papered, all the suction will have gone.

5. candoabitofmoststuff