Dodgy mains stop cock into flat. Advice please.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pablo-Handy, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

Although the stop cock is a council issue, we have had recent work done without consent, so we would like an independent plumber in to repair the tap. As the council workers might damage new bathroom.

Can this old type of tap be repaired, if it's a bit of a female dog to change?

It's a bit of a squeeze, can remove sink prior.

And what sort of cost should it be around?

And could anyone recommend a skilled certified plumber in west London.

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A bit fiddly to access, but fairly easy to do. Is it not something you can do yourself?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What a naff location!:eek:

Are there flats above & below you, from photo's it looks like a mains serving all flats, & teeing off at each floor.

If so,you'll need to turn off water at mains stop cock either in cupboard or where ever on ground floor, or outside, this means you neighbours will be without water until repair is done.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A lot of council flats fit the sure water stop, I know people on here don't like them.

Not had any problems with min and been fitted over 4 years.

Still put a full bore lever valve in as well.

5. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

Nah. No experience with repairing taps. Don't want to go there. Especially as it's mains and has issues.

6. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

If the tap can be closed, I presume the tap can be repaired. As it's just water seeping around handle shift. But it is a bit cranky at closing up.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get council in to replace it. It's just that the bath I've put in, is well in there. But I guess with the sink basin removed and some other pipes disconnected they can hopefully switch the tap.

7. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

Problem is I've put a non standard bath in and set it in stone, plus new pipes. So if they send a blundering don't want to be here plumber in, we could be in trouble. Might say they might have to do all that, after the bath is ripped out. :(

8. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

might just be as simple as tightening up the gland nut at the top or repacking it- it looks like someone has been there already with the ptfe

9. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

Yep, that was me found winding it out and winding the ptf back in a quick fix. I'm hoping what you are saying. :)

10. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I'm not a plumber but if it is simply to stop the leak these stopcocks are often repairable but are less reliable than the full bore lever valves- ideal if can be fitted but i see access is going to be a challenge.

I would have a go at repair first- i like the plumberparts vids both for education and entertainment.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If I were doing it, I just freeze pipe either side of stop cock, around 30 minutes to do whole job.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looking at the pictures the pipes on either side of the T before stop tap are different sizes. Top one looks like 22mm/3/4" and the one at the bottom is 15mm?

Would see if the main stop tap is operation-able just in case, not something I would feel confident in doing especially when it supplies other flats.

13. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

That's not going to be very easy....
    The main stop tap "in the road" is not yours, it belongs to the water company. But to do the job properly and without getting wet, you really need to get that turned off first.
    But it is a council property, you've already had some work done without permission so you are going to be really popular if you make it worse by messing up the stop tap.
    Bite the bullet and get the council in - they will presumably co-ordinate turning everyones water off it it proves necessary. They'll probably sub contract it anyway and there is no reason why they would damage the bathroom.

14. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

If I close the tap, when I re open it, it will leak. So at present it's half opened and the ptfe is reducing drip. It's a bummer having no reliable means to cut off water, to make good anything else.
    Also the tap to the boiler is mullerd too, same thing. Just old taps.

Will probably just call the council in and bite the bullet. Give the plumber lots of tea and cake. :)

15. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

That's the spirit - I'm always put in a good mood if the customer gets the tea and cake out without asking!
    Hope it works out ok - let us know later on.