Does my shower need an isolator switch?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by lou100011, May 31, 2015.

1. lou100011

lou100011 New Member

Hi all,

Im in no way a plumber so forgive me if this question seems obvious but im wondering if any of you can help with this?

I had a new shower fitted recently which has a light to say the power is on, which is on all the time. My old shower (we rent, it was like this when we moved in) had no isolator switch and the plumber advised we dont need one for the new shower either, is this correct? Im just concerned as the light is on all the time and after he left, we read the manual which states that it needs to be switched off at isolator when not in use :/ will leaving it on damage the shower in any way?

Also, ive been turning it off at the mains instead for now, will this damage anything?

Id really appreciate any help with this. :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should have a 45A-50A Double Pole isolation ceiling pull switch within the bathroom, but outside the zones, or use to be 45A ceiling pull switch outside the bathroom,not sure if you can have a wall mounted switch instead,but I can't remember whether it's a actual requirement in the regs, my book has gone walkies again.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  3. stu1312

stu1312 Member

To my knowledge there is no specific reg that says you must have an isolator but there is a regulation that requires all equipment to be installed in accordance with manufacturers instructions, so if they say it should be installed with an isolator then it should have one.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...but there is a reg that says that a switch in the CU shouldn't be used as a functional switch(ie usual on/off switch) isn't there?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It will be fine.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The light just shows there is power to the shower. It's a tiny neon bulb which uses an insignificant amount of electric. The heating element( which uses a significant amount) is only activated when the shower is switched on and is operating.

7. lou100011

lou100011 New Member

Thanks for your help everyone.

the problem is that the landlord has been very reluctant to cough up for the shower alone so i doubt he will be happy about paying a further fee to get an isolator switch fitted.

so what about turning off at the mains? Is this a bad idea as handy andy pointed out? Dont really like the idea of the neon burning all day long.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It's nothing to worry about. It would prob use 1p of electric per year to run. It's not like leaving a tv in standby mode!

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thought I'd work out how much it does cost to have a neon burning away all day as I'm a bit rained off at mo...and really bored!! :)

Apparently, average neon uses a 1/4w of energy, so divide by a 1000 = 0.00025kW.

To keep it simple, cost of a kW hour of elec is about 10p so x by 0.1 to get cost per hour = £0.000025 per hour.

Multiply by 24 hours
    = £0.0006 per day
    Multiply by 365 days
    = £0.219

So I was way off, 22p a year to run!! :)

Almost forgot, prob need to add vat!!

FatHands likes this.
  10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

good bit of maths there CGN! :)

CGN likes this.
  11. Derek.K

Derek.K New Member

i wish my units were 10p. Havent seen them that low in 5 years+ !

(sorry for irrelevance :D)

FatHands likes this.
  12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

anyone know the approximate costings these days and if they vary much between suppliers?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A standard unit (pence per kWh) is around 15.6p inc vat, but there are many plans, that offers lower prices.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Do I get half marks for showing my working? :rolleyes:

Either way, Def worth the op asking for a rent reduction!! :p

Jitender likes this.