door sanding vs heat gun paint stripping?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tellme_why, May 20, 2016.

1. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Good day forum,

I want to renew my oldish white six panels interior doors by painting with satin paint.

I want to make nice and smooth first so I bought a nice 125 orbital sander to sand the doors.

I read some post and noticed that at times paint stripping by heat gun is advisable, in particular when there are many layers of paint already. My best guess is my doors have be re-painted twice with white gloss over time.

Question: Should I heat gun - strip the paint before sanding or not?

I did not buy new doors, so I though that stripping and sanding would give a better refresh of the door than just sanding (before painting)?

Many thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You'll find a multi tool fitted with a triangular sanding pad,very handy getting into the corners.:)

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am guessing that these are modern six panel doors that have been painted just a couple of times and don't have any lead paint on them.

If the paint isn't chipped or peeling you should be able to get away with a light sand with fine grit paper and the speed down low.

4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

are they solid timber? if not then sand them lightly and paint.

5. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

.. they do not sound as they were solid timber ...

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Best not be too enthusiastic as many of them are a thin reformed timber oressed into a mould with a cardboard core.

Using a heat gun is really messy and time consuming and will require a sand afterwards