door spy hole

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by A_little_help_please, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Hi

we have a UPVC front door and i want to know whether i can drill into the door to fit a spy hole so i can see who is at the door. would it be possible, what drill would i use and would i have to seal round the spy hole?

Any help would be great

Sarah

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
  2. RoB

RoB Guest

Hi Sarah
    I'm no expert but I did recently have to drill a couple of screw holes through a uPVC door myself (my own one, I hasten to add!).
    These doors seem to be constructed from some sort of high-density foam, with a thin plastic coating round the outside - not as high-tech as I was expecting!
    A standard HSS drill bit should work fine (that's what I used). No sealant or anything necessary (provided you don't drill the hole too large, of course!).
    RoB

3. Hi Rob

I am kinda ducking out of the idea now, who would i call to do it for me? i am a little clueless about these things!

Sarah xx

4. boris the blade

boris the blade New Member

i'll do it for u if yr in my locality! :)

5. Where do you live?! And how much would you charge?! :)

6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Could'nt be simpler....normally you just need a 12mm drill bit, and simply screw the 2 halves together!!

7. st

st New Member

dont make the mistake i made.

you have to walk up 3 steps to get from the pavement to my house.
    I fitted the spy hole whilst working inside the house.

Unfortunately i dont get that many 7ft tall visitors and at night i cant see anything.

I refuse to move it as that will be admitting defeat.

8. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Put in a wireles cctv then. It can be connected to your tv and when they ding the bell your visitors get a part in Eastenders. You need to have a PIR light installed in conjunction so you can see who it is.

They are v.cheap these days. If you have the facility to record images on the system you <u>must</u> display stickers to the effect that you have CCTV recording their every move (thats law) - But no recording means no stickers needed but it isn't illegal to put them up anyway, helps keep the burglars away. Spend a few more shillings and you can also have an automatic door opener so you do not have to move more than eleven muscles to identify them and let them in. Instruct them to make them selves a cup of tea. Interupt them again half way through with a microphone discretely installed by the kettle asking "would you make me one as well..?" and you even get the system to make you tea, effectively.

9. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Too right Charlie. I have a cheap little CCTV camera up in the corner of my porch. It shows who is at the door properly, not the distorted image you get through a spy hole. If the caller is too close you still have to open the door to see who it is. As a bonus I can see if the milkman has been. All I do is change to Channel 9, which is tuned to the camera. If it looks like Jehova's Witnesses, I don't even have to get up.