Double rafters

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dan1980, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Dan1980

Dan1980 Member

Hi folks

I need to double up rafters to support dormer walls.

Do the rafters have to be bolted together or can I use screws or nails to join them?

If I use bolts they will be in the way when it comes to fixing plasterboard to the frame unless I batten it.

Cheers

Dan

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Screws and nails would be ok with doubles but I personally would triple up your rafters if they're supporting dormers, drill through the three and bolt together, but countersink the rafter that's the dormer side with say a 38mm flat bit, that will allow you to bury the head of the bolt into the rafter flush and won't protrude out into the plasterboard.

vivaro man likes this.
  3. Dan1980

Dan1980 Member

Thanks Jord

Yes did think about countersinking head.

The plan was to use 2 x 50 x 200 rafters bolted together would this not be sufficient?

Cheers

Dan

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What does it specify on your plans? A third rafter also provides a stop for your sheathing, support for your lead, and a fixing point for battens to sit on, as I assume the cheeks of the dormer are 4x2?

5. Dan1980

Dan1980 Member

140mm studwork for cheeks.

Plans don't state whether rafters should be doubled or tripled up. They are quite vague!

I'll triple them up. This was the original plan then I changed my mind about 50 times since.

Cheers

Dan

6. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Dan, do exactly as Jord says. Putting sheathing ply on dormer cheeks is a lot easier with a stop to rest it on. Yes, use 3 pieces of timber and by all means bolt them but 90mm ring nails from a gun are quite adequate for that job.