Double wall socket not giving enough voltage power

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bond007, Nov 23, 2014.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Recently I had a additional double wall socket put in the kitchen.

The sparky had branched it from another doubk the wall socket which is directly behind in it in another room.

The problem I have with this new socket is it takes ages from any appliances to charge. For example a standard iPhone would only charge a few % in like half hour where as soon a put in a diff wall socket it be fine.

What could be the issue?

Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Try plugging a kettle into it and see what happens.

3. bond007

Just put the kettle on and thta was fine, did it in same amount time as it does in the other socket.

What next

4. Tried that. The iPhone won't charge from the kettle either.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Puzzled!

6. bond007

No the iPhone charges from the new socket, but jus takes ages compared to putting it other sockets.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It can't be a lack of power if it runs the kettle ok!

8. This isn't some sort of 'wireless' charging system, is it? Because, if it's a normal PSU with a cable plugging straight in to your iPhone, then there is something 'wrong' here.

And - sorry - I think the most likely scenario is that you are not comparing 'like for like'. Ie - the battery was more flat this time. Or, the iPhone was switched on at the same time as charging. Or, the phone was receiving calls whilst plugged in. Or, the phone was connected to the interweb and running apps at the same time as charging. Or, the charging plug wasn't inserted fully into the phone. Or... you get the idea :)

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I don't know too much about electrics, but I can only concur with everyone else....If you can boil a kettle in this socket, then you have a problem with your iPhone/charger :(

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Are you talking about wall sockets combininbg USB outlets as well as the usual 13A plug sockets?

11. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

talking of these sockets - are they fully compliant with the regs?

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't know anything about these Fats, do they have a 5v power supply for USB built-in then?

FatHands likes this.
  13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just wondering if a reverse polarity would somehow give error output in the transformer for the charger?
    Kettle would still be ok!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've had trouble with my S3 Galaxay, since nearly 2 years I have owned it I have been through half a dozen chargers.

There is an intermittent problem with the micro socket on the phone.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That sounds more than likely the problem that 007 has.

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

CEF are selling them, so I'm assuming they don't contravene any regs tbh, rather like a shaver socket doesn't. [​IMG]

FatHands likes this.
  17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You need to get and fit a new charging port for the phone.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My contract with 3 is ending in January, so will make with do until then.

19. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Sen - i have yet to see one myself, but guess it has one built in for USB mate.

Rulland - Cheers. I think they are popping up by the more well known manufacturers so guess they must be legit. At first i only noticed them from some dodgy looking thing on e-bay so did wonder!

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select