Downlights disco lighting!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Debbie R, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Debbie R

Debbie R New Member

Looking for some suggestions please as my electrician is flummoxed. We installed 5 LED downlights in our utility room operated by a ceiling mounted sensor. They all worked fine for the first 10 months or so but then started randomly coming on and off when the sensor was activated - what I mean by randomly is sometimes all would come on, sometimes some would come on but we never know which ones will illuminate as its random! Sometimes one or more will partly illuminate, Sometimes they will all come on. It's really weird.
    Our electrician suggested changing the sensor and so I've done that twice, last time making sure it was LED compatible but it has made no difference. They are all.daisy chained.
    Any ideas please?

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Have you thought about changing your electrician?

Sound a very simple circuit to diagnose a fault.
    Example
    1. Check there is power to the sensor
    2. Check all downlights work
    3. Check all connections are properly made.
    4. Check sensor operates

And maybe just check the downlights are daisy chained in parallel not series, unlikey.

3. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

My first move would be to take the sensor out of the equation by linking it out this will give a better indication if there are issues through the circuit. Changing parts randomly is not a cost effective solution, find the fault first.

Debbie R and HarryL1234 like this.
  4. Debbie R

Debbie R New Member

Thank you

5. WildCat

WildCat Well-Known Member

Are the LEDs 240v or lower voltage connected through drivers etc?