dpc for brick shed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by juned, Aug 29, 2014.

1. juned

juned New Member

Im building myself a shed of about 6m by 4m out of concrete blocks. however i dont know much about dpc and im curious as to if it'll leave my shed unstable and prone to movement. does the internal concrete floor keep the wall stable? im new to building, but what type of concrete blocks are best for a shed with and internal and external wall and also is there any particular brick below the dpc to use? thanxs

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Reading your post, I'd be incline to leave it to a builder, you clearly have no idea what you are doing.

But if you are determined to do it, then yes you need a dpc.

Why are you thinking of having two skins of blockwork ( inner outer walls) ??

The floor level is set at dpc so doesn't support the walls.

Below dpc use class B engineering bricks.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's a fairly sizeable structure to attempt for your first building project , some might even say a tad over ambitious ?

Have you thought about the roof structure yet

Good luck anyway

4. juned

juned New Member

sorry for late reply. ive just been reconsidering size and decided it rather have it have 5.6M by 3.8M. reason for size is due due having a fairly large garden and i know if i make it too small ill only greatly regret it later. roof structure is going to be a pitched roof with a ultimate height of 3M (will apply for planning permission). im quite confident in doing it

my concern was how bricks above dpc are kept attached since i thought dpc material wouldnt really keep the bricks bonded (its just my curious mind having never built before)

ive thoroughly watched full video by noel marshall on youtube on how to build and ive also had and extension done by builders to my kitchen, thus im confident in building, what do you guys think about going forward after watching it?

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No disrespect, but watching a Noel Marshall video is not the way to go, next you be buying a bricky contraption to spread the morter out. :confused: