DPM on my shed..........? please explain.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Westforester, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Westforester

Westforester Member

Hi,

My new shed is wet, its a sad state of affairs which I am attempting to remedy in all ways possible.

One of these is to try to jack it up a tiny bit to slide a DPM between the small shed base batons and the larger treated (allegedly) timber battons it is sat on. (which are on slab pillars over the mud).

Do I have to buy the actual DPM roll out strip product Ive seen in B&Q? or is DPM just any damp proof membrane eg spare bit of roofing felt, or some plastic sheeting?

Im trying to keep costs down as Ive already forked out for treatment/paint, fungicide,a solar powered roof vent, sealent, glue and guttering............. in combo with having heating running connstantly to help it dry ou.

I cant just watch it rot while I wait for drier weather....

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Rachel

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can use a strip of roof felt along the length of the bearers, plastic sheeting is a too bit flimsy to use, but a roll off 112.5mm DPM is £3:20p at our host competitors.

For anybody else reading this thread, use plastic fence posts, then you don't need dpm, & the posts don't rot,available in various sizes & lengths.:)

http://www.kedel.co.uk/recycled-mixed-plastic-lumber.html

madhatter1uk likes this.
  3. Westforester

Westforester Member

ooh I thought it was much more expensive than that. Thats fine... Ill go hunt some tomorow :) Thankyou.

I have a number of wish-Id-known/had time that I would have done,but now its damage limitation.

Thanyou for your reply.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  4. Westforester

Westforester Member

I now have a roll of DPM and am waiting for the weekend to try jacking up the base....... Thanks for advice..

Im going to tackle my soaking wet garage next lol

madhatter1uk likes this.
  5. Robin Antill

Robin Antill New Member

It's good advice to give protection to your garden shed floor as this tends to be the area where sheds fail. So by putting your shed on pressure treated timbers and raising the floor away from the ground can only be a good thing. If you can't get bearers underneath you could consider putting the floor joist on top of slate or vinyl tiles as that would help as well. You can get more information about garden shed floors on this page https://www.leisurebuildings.com/acatalog/1st-choice-garden-sheds-buildings-floors.html

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Good luck jacking that up!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

CGN likes this.
  7. Westforester

Westforester Member

Thankyou. I still havent been able to jack the shed up to put the DPM under (lack of helpers for a while), but Ive fitted gutter which has helped a LOT.

It STILL soaks in through the walls though - upwards creep between the featherboard. Its terrible.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A bloke I know worked on the St Pancras station development and had to jack the entire station up to fit some steels in the undercroft :eek::eek:

9. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

See if you can ease the bottom ones off and ease the dpm up the rear. That way it's not running down the wall and underneath the wall on to the floor, it's running down and dripping off the dpm