Drainage from Boiler Flue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by iainc, Jan 5, 2015.

1. iainc

iainc New Member

Hi All,

We had our boiler moved into the loft last year by British Gas. However the siting of the boiler flue is almost directly above the back door. This means that when the weather is cold there is a permanent drip which hits anyone going into the garden or putting stuff in the bins.

Anyone got any ideas whether I can extend the flue sideways, or whether I need to workout some sort of gutterring solution (not withstanding the fact that the flue pipe stands out from the wall further than guttering would normally cover!)

Cheers

Iain

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Firstly do not try any DIY remedials on the flue yourself, you could compromise its function without meaning to.
    You could try to get BG back to correct this as all the water should go back into the boiler.

FatHands likes this.
  3. As Dave said, you should get BG back as the flue has been installed incorrectly. It should slope back to prevent this very problem.

4. iainc

iainc New Member

Thanks folks. Looks like a call to British Gas is in order...!

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you update us on when BG have been around.

6. Excellent idea Jitender, preferably word for word lol!

7. iainc

iainc New Member

No problem. A very cheerful phone operative has scheduled an "Engineer" to come out tomorrow - luckily I'm still in the 1 year guarantee period!!

8. iainc

iainc New Member

Well, so far I'm pretty impressed with BG. The Home Protect engineer confirmed straight away that the flue pipe is incorrectly installed and is angled downwards not upwards. Somebody from the installations team is being sent out next Thursday to fix it. They are also going to clean the system and clear the air locks.

So far so good!

9. Holey moley! I've got my knife and fork ready but I'll not quite eat my words yet.
    Come on BG you can do it!