Drill Bit to Bore through 600mm Stone Wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PeterK, Oct 3, 2015.

1. PeterK

PeterK Member

I need to bore through a 600mm stone wall for putting a waste pipe for a sink through the hole.
    I'm struggling to find something suitable.

Does anyone recommend anything?

Regards

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

40mm diamond core drill with extensions, also need a 600mm 8mm sds bit, to drill a guide hole first for the core drill to follow.

Better to hire a decent sds drill, as a normal drill would struggle,plus they don't have clutch,which if the bit jams,you'll get a broken wrist, or a good smack in the beak, you can hire for half days in most hire shops.:)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One other thing drill the hole with a slight fall to the outside, otherwise any solid waste will settle in the pipe & eventually block it.
    And use a SWEPT TEE on the outside fitted with a access plug, this will allow you to rod the pipe back to the trap, if it becomes blocked.:)

PeterK likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

By "stone" you mean natural stone or not bricks / blocks ?

If it is natural stone then then it is going to be quite a long difficult job especially on the arms. If you can be flexible on where the hole is being drilled from, try taking some of the render off, sometimes you can be lucky and find a gap between the stones or a smallish stone that can be removed. try to avoid going through the dead centre of a stone - especially if you have something like granite in there!

Allow yourself 3-4 hours to get through a wall that thick if you haven't done it before

5. PeterK

PeterK Member

Yes its a stone wall, but the stone isn't that hard, some of the stone is pretty loose, I'm hoping that if I can get the hole started the stones might move around and won't be such a tough job.
    I've bored through 4'' blocks plenty, but not walls as thick as this.

I'll hire a SDS drill and get a diamond core bit and hopefully that will get me started and I can pick the rest of the stones out hopefully.

6. PeterK

PeterK Member

Yes would be a major mistake having the pipe slightly sloping the wrong way.

Good Idea with the Tee fitting. Thanks

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You be surprise how many put the waste pipe in level & don't allow a fall on it.:eek:

Also you might find once you got the pipe through a few gaps, using some exanded foam will bond everything together nicely, better than mortar.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I've never tried this. Mostly because I'm off the firm belief it won't work.
    Least ways not with a hand held drill. Which is why the crow bar comes out.

A decent coring rig that is attached to the wall with anchors might have a chance.
    And you can set the correct drilling angle
    If stones in the wall become loose then the core tips will be wrecked so be prepared to pay the hire company a few hundred quid for a new core!

But how do you attach to a stone wall? Again very difficult and dangerous.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As long as you drill a pilot hole right through the wall first for the guide on the core drill to follow, you should be ok.
    Start off gently, & it helps if the stone is flat,I've done quite a few holes up to 50mm diameter through stone without too many problems; I find it's usually the bigger holes like 127mm & upwards that misbehave & cause problems with stones/rubble dropping, & they always get knocked through by hand & the wall made good afterwards.

When I do smaller holes, once pipe is through, I use gun grade foam to bind everything together.:)
    And it's handy to have long cold chisel/ crowbar, if you encounter difficult bits

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

When you start a core it guides its self. Which is why I never use a center bit.
    And obviously rigs don't need center bits.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There are few other things that is worth noting

Don't set the SDS drill to hammer mode with the core bit. Its bets to use in standard drilling mode.
    If you need to remove the centre bit there is a small bar (drift) which you have to hammer in to a slot to free the bit.

The drill bit supplied with the core bit is normally quite short. if you will need one which is around 900mm which the hire firms can supply or sometimes the German discount mini markets have them £9.99 for a set of 3. Start off with the one supplied with the core bit then use the longer one to go all the way through.

By going all the way through you make it easier for the core bit if you drill a little from the outside it will reduce the risk of knocking a block of render off as you breakout from the inside.

Have fun

12. PeterK

PeterK Member

Yes if I can get in as far as 200mm with the core bit I'll be happy, any further I would think stones will start dislodging and blocking the hole. I'll put a narrower 10mm bit right through the wall to begin with then I know where to start taking away stones from the inside.
    Its just going to be one of those jobs...

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Saves going to the gym :)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might be very lucky, all depends on the stone used & how well wall was built, if you can use extensions on the the core bit & core it from both sides.

PeterK likes this.
  15. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem at our Welsh cottage made of "river stones" - 750mm thick "cavity" walls. Our walls were rendered externally but other properties in the road just had the bare stones and I could see that mine would be a mixture of limestone, sandstone and granite. The hole had to be 110mm to pass a soil pipe. I got about a quarter of the way through with a hired diamond core bit and drill but could go no more a granite stone! In the end I had to literally smash my way through with a breaker, removing some of the larger pieces as they became loose. I got though in the end though, got my pipe through and made good with PU foam and then cement.