Drill recomendation please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIYDave., Apr 24, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all

Will hopefully be cracking on with some outside diy projects during the summer and am considering buying a drill for the following jobs;

Breaking up a poured concrete path
    Breaking up crazy paving patio
    Core drilling 100mm hole through brick wall
    There will be more I am sure !

Have hired drills before but for around £100 I was thinking of buying one of these;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb571sds-6kg-sds-max-drill-230-240v/15458

Or for £60 one of these;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-drill-240v/97533

The first drill is 6kg SDS max, the 2nd drill 5 kg SDS plus
    Don't really know what I'm comparing to be honest !

Is the SDS max \ plus just different chucks and bits and what relationship does the Kg rating have on the power available

The 5Kg drill has a higher wattage motor than the 6 Kg drill for instance

Drill will get occasional, diy use, realise that Titan is a budget own brand but will probably stand up to this kind of use - just which drill ??

Thanks for your time and thoughts guys

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I have never used titan tools but have heard they are good value for your money,the first one you listed looks like you can use it for core drilling as well.But the other one does not state that it can from what I can see,so I would choose the first one (bit more money bit more tool).

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The cheaper one looks better. Although it doesn't mention core drilling, the dearer one states 38mm max core bit, which is rubbish. The cheaper one though, has less capacity in concrete, so may not be any better with core-drilling!

Read the reviews and make your mind up from those who've used it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Just out of curiosity, can you get a core drill that fits a SDS max machine, if not then the second one which is SDS+ is the only option.

6. Mr. Handyandy

By the way, more watts means less slowing of motor under load, and Kg = similar weight of hammer to chisel(as in 5kg hammer drill hits like a 5kg lump hammer-only a lot more rapidly)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Mr. Handyandy

You normally use a core-bit that fits the normal chuck on DRILL setting(never with sds hammer)
    The chuck adapter is used for that.
    Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I am aware of that HA, but I have never seen a SDS max chuck adaptor, although I have seen core-drills with SDS+ fittings.