Drilling core through cavity wall for bathroom and kitchen extractors

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Here_to_confirm, May 19, 2015.

1. I was assuming (but it's only an assumption) that HtC's red bricks are of the 'London brick' type, the stuff you can write with on hard surfaces! In which case it should be like a hot knife through butter - ish.

But if it's like modern red bricks, then I guess they will be pretty hard.

A test cut from inside the hoosie would soon determine. As Phil says, tho', the cutter might not be deep enough!

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I'm trying to get me rattler around the whole not being able to do the whole hole from the inside scenario tbh.
    Every extract I've ever done has been from inside out, when you run out of cutter break the core off, remove, and carry on through, I've gone through 30" granite walls no problem.

3. He doesn't want to burst through the render on t'outside. Yes, most of it should be done from the inside.

4. Here_to_confirm

Here_to_confirm New Member

Thank to everyone who's commented.

I've taken the advice into account and have hired this for Saturday - http://www.hss.com/hire/p/diamond-core-drill-dd110

If anyone has any tips for core drilling I'm all ears! Any methods they use; oil/fairy liquid to stop it jamming?

As outlined before I plan to;

Pilot from inside to out.
    Core the plaster on the inside (the less internal work the less cleaning)
    And core from the outside in (if it 'fills' the core bit I'll just chip it out!?). I'm guessing with the extension bar I can do both layers of wall from the outside.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pilot from inside to out, slightly angle to give a fall on the vent pipe.
    Core from the outside in about 30mm
    Do the rest from inside.

Core bit will easly do inner wall in one go, remove the cut masonry core & carry on drilling to you done outer core.

6. Here_to_confirm

Thank Kiab. In the interest of keeping the dust outside what's wrong with going from outside in?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

The ladder!, easier to hoover and dust than mend a broken wrist, leg or worse.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Breaking your neck!

Core drilling up a ladder is NOT recommended, clutch or no clutch on the drill, if it jams, you'll break your wrist, a nasty smacked in the beak, or fall off the ladder.

Not that much dust,just lay a dust sheet on the floor.

9. Here_to_confirm

But it's up a ladder in the house too...and it's above the toilet...so seems there is a ladder involved either way? At least outside I'm not also leaving over the toilet?

Or do I also hire a platform to stand on? I have a small one but not sure it'll be high enough

10. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

upload_2015-5-20_15-22-34.jpeg

You would not need to go up a ladder with one of these but you may not get a clean cut.
    Sorry! Could not resist!:):rolleyes:

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

A serious reply to your last post.In my limited experience of drilling holes in walls up on second storey when you use much pressure on the drill it also tends to push the ladder away from the wall. If the drill kicks back and you drop it I would not want to be footing the ladder. Remember in the heat of the moment you might lock it on!
    If you do tie the ladder to the wall and you to the ladder you might not be able to undo yourself if you injure yourself and it is easily done believe me . The ambulance to the left arose about a year ago when I was rushed to A & E . Just see what a professional would charge IMHO. After all he will have done it before and know what the risks are involved better than you with respect.

12. Here_to_confirm

Just wanted to let everyone know the outcome, thanks again to everyone who commented.

I hired a diamond core and drill set from HSS. All Makita stuff and the cores I used were brand new.

The job was straight forward and went exactly as planned. I'm glad I took advice and was using the right kit, 4 layers of red brick are hard work! I drilled a pilot from inside to outside. I used the core on the inside just to go through the plaster, then everything else from outside (one 107mm and one147mm cut). While it took an hour 15 per hole due to the heavy drill, double layer of brick and sore arms, there wasn't anything special to it. I was up a ladder the whole time and not one slip/jam/scare. Once the drill is full speed you can hear and feel when it goes off centre and there's risk of jamming...plenty warning to get it straight again.

Anyone who finds this post and is considering doing it I'd say give it a go. The time to really pay attention is when you've stopped for a rest and about to start again - in my experience this is the time most likley to catch/jam. Just hold the drill tight and get it to full speed with very little pressure, once at full speed you can apply a little more pressure.

I should just highlight everything was new and good makita kit, who knows what it may have been with blunt cheap gear.

Cheers

D4veNI and PaulBlackpool like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member