Drilling Engineering Bricks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DaveF, Jun 18, 2015.

1. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

My house is constructed from a modern engineering brick. They are incredibly hard and brittle, so represent a real problem.
    I have a large sds drill which has no problem drilling through them, but the wear on ordinary SDS masonary drills is insane. I have used sets of drills that have lasted years, and they last just one, maybe two holes in these bricks. Brand new Bosch drills are torn apart. Usually the head just wears down after one or two holes. Sometimes it will completely shatter ( I might add this is a slow speed hammer drill ). Today I had to drill just five holes in them and I had one drill blunted and another the tungsten tip just shattered.
    Is there a special type of drill that can give me something like a decent life?

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm not a "bricky", so can someone please clarify for me. Years ago, engineering bricks to me were the dark grey ones used on bund walls etc.,but I really can't imagine a house built with these. They were incredibly difficult to drill (before we had SDS drills). :(

3. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Yes! You refer to class A engineering bricks. There was also a slightly different class B that are red. Mine are a modern version that are faced but have the same characteristics as a class A engineering brick. Ie.... dense, brittle, hard and waterproof.
    I believe that the reason they were used is that the original specifed brick for the houses in the street was discontinued half way through the build, so they switched to something that was as near a visual match as possible for the last few houses. These were the much more expensive and unusual bricks that I now have to live with, lol.
    Yes, they are very difficult to drill. Small drills just disintegrate, large drills and the entire brick shatters. They are so abrasive they visibly wear down the tungsten every hole you drill. Large drills you really need to progress in stages, which means you wear all your drills out on one hole...lol. The only thing that goes through without issue is a diamond drill.

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I really can't advise you, but people on this forum appear to swear by DeWalt "Extreme" drill bits. I've never used them, but maybe someone that has, will comment. o_O

5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Perhaps a diamond tile drill bit would suffice. Maybe 5mm red plugs? Not sure what you are trying to fix.

6. Mblack

Mblack Member

I've started using the Milwaukee sds plus rx4 bits, they seem to last well even on Normanton "blue" bricks hard as....

7. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I will try some. Thanks!

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have ordered a 6mm bit too.