Drilling kitchen doors...

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by furious_customer, Apr 26, 2024.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I am just about to fit some slimline kitchen handles from B&Q's new range which only have 1 or 2mm of handle material on either side of the screw-hole, so I need to drill very carefully to avoid any chipping or tear-out of the door surface as it will easily be visible.

What is the best method?

2. luna19

luna19 Member

If you have to drill from back of door out. Then I would use a piece of scrap wood held over the door surface pressed hard onto door
    or use a very small drill to drill from back of door out then correct size drill from out of the door in

3. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

As suggested , a pilot drill and masking tape both sides.

4. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

Drilling from outside may cause small chips on the inside.
    A zinc plated washer would cover them.

5. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Always drill from face you can clamp wood to back of door to stop breakout so in other words you are drilling from face of door into wood

CGN likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Handle screws are M4 from memory and have a large, flat head, inserted from the inside face of door and screws into handle

Any slight roughness to pre-drilled handle holes will be covered by screw head but, best practice to drill perfect, neat holes in the first place

2mm HSS drill bit and as above, clamp scrap wood to inside of door over screw hole area and pilot drill from outside into scrap wood

Then 4-4.5mm drill, same as above and drill again
    Remove clamp and scrap wood and perfect, neat holes, ready for screws

If you have several doors to drill ready for handles, can knock up a simple jig to save time measuring each door

Can also buy various handle jigs but no point for diy / occasional use - YouTube for diy handle jig

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

All I use for a template is a bit of card and a nice new drill bit with, as above, masking tape. Never a problem.