Drywall Arch and Drywall Router

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Keith Morrell, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Keith Morrell

Keith Morrell New Member

Hi there,

Ok my first post so please be gentle. I have cut a hole between two rooms nad trying to install a drywall/plasterboard arch. Cut the hole but went off line a little and the arch now looks awful. So going to cut a plywood frame and put it inside the arch and cut round that. My question is on a few you tube videos i have seen they have a drywall router that just zips through this. Do we have something similar or they also mention spiral saw bit looks like a drill bit if i could get one of these would i just put this in a cordless drill or screwdriver and cut through? I used a jigsaw before but did not seem to work :(

Any advice appreciated

Keith

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rotozip is the tool, darn expensive, don't even know if it's still availble, spiral bits were expensive.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got a couple in the garage.
    Didn't know people were still doing arched doors though :eek::eek:

4. Keith Morrell

Keith Morrell New Member

Any idea how i could do it??

5. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

You could use a router and a sharp chisel

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

You can form the arch either as a unit to install or by marking onto the material and cutting out what you don't need. Either way you will need need to mark it.

Which you do by fixing a string on the floor at the centre of the space, running it out to the arch top centre. attach a pencil to the string and follow the arc making markings on the material. If the arc is too circular or too flat, adjust the position of the string so that it creates a set of marks you can join up to create the desired shape.

The advantage of doing it onto the walls, is you can see what you will get before cutting. The open ends will need to be covered in wire mesh and plastered neatly to form your arch.

if its plasterboard you can cut with a hand hole saw, if its mdf cut with a jigsaw. Rotozips make something look easy and useful on a tv advert. They are a toytool, and end up costing you money in silly attachments and accessories. Eventually they seize up.