Dulux trade eggshell or diamond eggshell?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Matt Sayers, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Matt Sayers

Matt Sayers New Member

I'm looking for some advice - first post, so go easy.

I'm will soon be painting some woodwork in white (doors, skirting, etc) and will be using either Dulux trade eggshell or diamond eggshell, but I'm unsure which one is more suitable as both state they can be used on wood.

The woodwork is currently painted in white satinwood which will be lightly sanded with 120 grit to prepare before painting.

Can anyone give me advice on which paint would be the most suitable and any other general tips on using the paint (i.e. does it need to be thinned slightly, one or two coats and is my prep ok?).

TIA

2. Back On Site

Back On Site New Member

They'd both be fine to use. The Diamond is meant to be better quality and more durable, but I always use the Dulux Trade oil eggshell and never have a problem with it.

Your prep is fine. One coat of oil-based undercoat followed by two top coats of oil-based eggshell and you will be laughing. Rub down in between coats lightly with p240 sandpaper to de-nib and wipe over wood with a tack cloth after dusting and before painting and you'll end up with a finish as smooth as glass.

I always thin slightly with white spirit so the paint flows better. Not too much though. Depends how loose the paint is in the can. Sometimes it comes ready to go, other times it's too thick.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Matt Sayers

Matt Sayers New Member

Thanks for the replies.

BOS - I've just noticed that trade eggshell is oil based whereas diamond eggshell is water based. I think I'm going with the diamond as this meant to be non yellowing.

Kiab - thanks for the suggestion, but I'm after a slightly less shine than gloss.

5. Yes, the water-based products are glowingly white - and stay that way. Oil-based will 'yellow' in time, especially if they are in shaded areas.

Water-based sometimes lose out on durability, but I'd hope that Dulux's 'Diamond' products will last well too.