Earth bonding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bulby1, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Bulby1

Bulby1 New Member

hi i recently had an electrical cert done for a new property i was buying, the guy was part p reg, he has put i need supplementary bonding on my kitchen taps , bathroom and central heating boiler ?

i know about bathroom and can do kitchen if i must, but what happens with the central heating boiler ? where does the tail terminate ?

2. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Cross bonding NOT needed in kitchens.
    Water and gas mains need main Equipotential bonding at source.(plus some other services/items)
    Supp. bonding in bath needed.
    This is not an exclusive list.
    regards

3. Bulby1

Bulby1 New Member

the trouble im having is that this survey that i had done with these recommendations is part of my morgage, that is the work has to be done to satify my morgage company, and he has put on his nikky sheet that bathroom , kitchen and central heating boiler req supplementary bonding, so what can i do ? i can supplementary bond bathroom, kitchen to nearest socket but what about central heating boiler ? where does that start and end ?

regards

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

There is no specific requirement in BS 7671 to supplementry bond the following..

Kitchen pipes,sinks or draining boards

Metal furniture in kitchens

Metal pipes and wash hand basins in domestic locations other than bathrooms

OSG page 26

5. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Did the report say supplementary bonding to boiler or main bond to boiler required. Supplementary bonding to a boiler is not usually required whereas a main bond between incoming oil pipe ? and consumer unit is.(Only if the oil pipe is in electrical contact with earth outside the premises)

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

the trouble im having is that this survey that i had
    done with these recommendations is part of my
    mortgage, that is the work has to be done to satify my
    mortgage company, and he has put on his nikky sheet
    that bathroom , kitchen and central heating boiler
    req supplementary bonding, so what can i do ? i can
    supplementary bond bathroom, kitchen to nearest
    socket but what about central heating boiler ? where
    does that start and end ?

regards

I sympathise with you. This sort of thing just goes on and on and its pointless arguing with them. Luck of the draw who does your survey. Just asking for asking sake. As all other posts have said there is no requirement in BS7671 to supplementary bond a boiler it is just something that is done as good practice by plumbers. However, if you must you must. Supplementary bonding to your CH boiler is probably simplest of the lot. Just link all the pipework immediately below your boiler together. Usually around 5 pipes. Put a bonding clamp on each one and loop together in 4mm2 g/y cable. Thats it. Dont need to link to board, earth bar or anything else.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

the trouble im having is that this survey that i
    had
    done with these recommendations is part of my
    mortgage, that is the work has to be done to satify
    my
    mortgage company, and he has put on his nikky
    sheet
    that bathroom , kitchen and central heating boiler
    req supplementary bonding, so what can i do ? i
    can
    supplementary bond bathroom, kitchen to nearest
    socket but what about central heating boiler ?
    where
    does that start and end ?

regards

I sympathise with you. This sort of thing just goes
    on and on and its pointless arguing with them. Luck
    of the draw who does your survey. Just asking for
    asking sake. As all other posts have said there is
    no requirement in BS7671 to supplementary bond a
    boiler
    it is just something that is done as good
    practice by plumbers. However, if you must you must.
    Supplementary bonding to your CH boiler is probably
    simplest of the lot. Just link all the pipework
    immediately below your boiler together. Usually
    around 5 pipes. Put a bonding clamp on each one and
    loop together in 4mm2 g/y cable. Thats it. Dont need
    to link to board, earth bar or anything else.

One thing to consider though. If the pipework to the boiler is not extraneous bonding it will cause it to become live in the event of a fault to other extraneous parts. Err, for .4 of a second I guess.

8. prosparks

prosparks New Member

do you regard a boiler and cu pipes to be exposed conductive parts OR extraneous conductive parts ?

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Extraneous

10. Triplock

Triplock New Member

Extranposed part.

11. ppe

ppe New Member

Pro

I know where your coming from...

Sine and Trip...This is a definite grey area....

Your boiler quite often has the gas main directly under it, as mine is.

You have the 10mm main bond "Electrical" connection to this pipe which goes directly to the boiler...

Is this not then Exposed conductive part.?

Now part of the electrical installation due to "safety electrical connection do not remove"

ppe

PS what size cross bonding of the pipes is Ok in the above situation. I always used 6mm. Last year went the napit route and was told 10mm needed ? ...you what..

12. Bulby1

Bulby1 New Member

thanks unphased ive been looking for that answer for weeks !!!!!!! so boiler pipes just link together great ! and kitchen i just link both tap pipes and sink to nearest earth point in socket ?

13. electrograph

electrograph Member

As you've understood the simple requirement for the boiler, treat the kitchen sink just the same. There is no need to continue the link to a socket outlet.

You can then inform your mortgage company that the installation has been upgraded (or downgraded, depending on the point of view)to the previous (15th) edition of the Wiring Regs. . . . .

Pb

14. xerxesxu

xerxesxu New Member

As you've understood the simple requirement for the
    boiler, treat the kitchen sink just the same. There
    is no need to continue the link to a socket outlet.

All the extraneous conductive parts should be connected to the exposed conductive parts through the MET and the equipotential reference point is at the MET. Local crossbonding of extraneous conductive parts serves no purpose unless it is also connected locally to the earthing system, ie: to the earth terminal of the circuits in the area of cross bonding. This provides an additional and shorter low resistance parallel path between the simultaeously accesible exposed and conductive parts. The equipotential reference point is brought to local connection to the earthing system and the result is a lower touch voltage.

In other words, if you want any benefit (very small) from the bonding in the kitchen connect it to the earth terminals of the circuits which might cause any of the bonded parts to become live during the disconnection time. For an electric cooker, and any other appliance fed from its own circuit that is likely to be 5 sec.

15. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

The purpose of supplementary equipotential bonding is to ensure all conductive parts (and circuit earths) remain at an equal potential (hopefully zero volts). In this way there is no chance of having 240 volts at the hot tap, reaching for a towel on the radiator at zero volts thus completing the circuit. Even if the bonding brought the radiator up to 240 volts at least they would be at the same voltage and the only path would be through the floor which is a lot better than straight to earth through a metal radiator. Thats how I understand it works anyway.

16. Bulby1

Bulby1 New Member

so the heating system sorted, sink and taps in kitchen wired the same ? with no tail to socket ? is that right ?

17. Triplock

Triplock New Member

can do. It looks pretty if nothing else.

18. prosparks

prosparks New Member

OSG pages 23 -26 i think.
    no requirement to do any cross bonding other than in bathrooms(except for metal waste pipes which should be main bonded to MET.

19. Bulby1

Bulby1 New Member

is cross bonding the same as supplementary bonding ? he specificly asked for supplementary bonding on central heating boiler , bathroom and kitchen

20. prosparks

prosparks New Member

no, not the same.
    check 7671 Part 2. for definitions.
    regards