Earth Rod TT

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spike47, May 25, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right was looking at the cable coming out of the rod and thought it was white, but it might have been bleached by uv and stuff and I think I detect a tad of green striping now - that aside, it still does not comply tbqh..sorry but thats the way it is

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Are you sure thats not a lump of rebar stuck in the ground Spike?..I can now see that it is rust and not verdigris.

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

It's perfectly permissable to use rebar if you want JP.

4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Plus, would anyone like to quoute a reg number stating it has to be in a pit?

Earth electrodes are covered in section 542.2 if it helps...

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No I wasn't saying that it is not permissible to use rebar State - lets face facts if you can clamp onto footing rebar etc etc that is the bees knees. The rust did make it look like rebar and thats why I posted it State.

Our company always uses pits if a rod is indicated, and there is no exception to that rule State (street lighting)

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Tum ti tum will just unload motor quickly. ''Take that box of expensive box of bone china around the back way dear'' sais the missus. Lift the box out of the boot very awkwardly because it is big and heavy with the china. Walking along passageway and all of a sudden ''trip'' which results in flying headlong onto ground with box flying through air and all the china breaks - missus starts creating and stuff ''look what you've done, you're broken 500 squids worth of china'' Yes dear, but if I had put rod in pit then I would never have tripped over it..it was you who said it was ok sticking 75mm out of ground.

Just goes to show what can happen.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats the nice thing about electrics - you use BS 7671 as a template and augment it with your own personal regs

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Like it!! :)

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

She who must be obeyed State..;)

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

ALL electrical work must comply with Part P (basically it says that electrical installations must be installed safely).
    ONE way of complying with Part P is the usual one - doing stuff in accordance with Wiring Regulations (BS7671). And that certainly does state a number of requirements that the metal stick in your picture do not comply with.

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If the house was only built four years ago I'd be worried about the brickwork as well.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

That must be an old wall or something, as Willy sais no way is that the brickwork of a four year old house. That brickwork is reminiscent of a council property built in what around the 1930's, and used to house railway workers working on the Great Northern Line.

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

What will happen the rod will be belted in and a PVC 20mm Square earth rod cap will go in its place