Easifill 20 problem

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., May 17, 2017.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    Great filler, been using it for a few years for all decorating repairs and don't remember having this issue before;

Started to prep a bedroom at home over weekend, standard plastered ceiling, emulsioned several times over the years, few cracks over ceiling

Raked out cracks, nothing major and boards all firm, no movement. Brushed out cracks and filled with easifill. Let dry, sanded, perfect repair and seamless with ceiling

Rollered over filler repairs with a mist coat to seal, left to dry

After a few hours, the filler had swelled and was now proud of the ceiling along the total length of the repairs

Sanded down the filler again and once again level with ceiling

Hit the ceiling with a coat of Leyland Trade emulsion - was looking lovely at this stage and was gonna follow with a 2nd coat later

Again after a few hours the filler has swelled and the cracks are now standing proud of the ceiling and a total eyesore

Not had this before, used easifill many times and carried out prep and painted same as I always do. Always mist coat filler patches to even out absorbency so paint dries evenly - never had a problem before

Any ideas please as ceiling now looks worse than when I started :eek:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Strange, got a photo.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Strange as Kiab says. Could be an issue with surrounding areas/exisisting paint rather than the filler. Might be an idea to sand it down and apply an oil based stain block or similar over the area and a bit beyond before hitting it with the emulsion.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

IMG_3156.JPG Here's a picture of my crack :)

Yep was thinking of sealing easifill with the good old Zinnster but never had to do this before - thanks guys

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

:rolleyes: Hard to get a good picture of the crack and just realised, if you maximise pic, it actually looks like the filler has shrunk back but it's the opposite, it's raised

I've already sanded the filler back once after mist coat then painted again with a full coat of emulsion - again it's swelled up, every inch of filler along every crack

Never had this issue before with easifill. Will sand back again and coat with zinsser 123 (which I have)

Strange / Annoying / Grrrrrrrr / :eek: /

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tou Pret :cool:

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just finished painting the bedroom with a base coat.

Have used Easifil 60 in place so will look at tomorrow to see if there is anything wrong.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Use Toupret instead. Dries way faster with less problems. Really good filler. I buy online in 10x1kg packs but screwfix sell it although not at sensible money.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Funny enough I've got Toupret, both internal and external and used it for a fair few years

Tried the easifill about a year ago when I had some patches of blown plaster to skim over and found it great, quick setting time and more economical when you need loads of filler

Since then I've used it for all decorating and filling jobs and don't remember this problem before. It's swelled this time, guess from the water in the paint. Oh well, will try a coat of 123 for now and go back to the Toupret

Cheers Astra

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

T Stn usually cheaper, 2kg (I think) box , have previously used it, both int. and ex. flavours - cheers mate