EICR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lou1981, May 19, 2017.

1. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

Definitely all the metal back boxes behind the switches have earth and all the lights have earth wires, as long as I am correct about the one in the picture.

I am getting a bit confused by the tech talk but think I can easily put some trunking on that wire :p

2. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

Can someone please give me a list of which of these issues need an electrician and then I could get a quote for them? If there are genuine issues and I tell them to do one I need to attend to any problems if we are unsafe.

OR

Can someone write a response they would be happy for me to share reclassifying these issues correctly or whatever just to make the buyer aware that the report is unreliable and removing their £350-400 bargaining chip? I could send it as a let me reassure you ....;)

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

That light isn't fed from a dimmer is? Some electricians get stumpt when their meter won't loop test correctly via a dimmer. I see the R1+R2 is filled in, but doesn't mean it was measured. If a dimmer switch, that could indicate why he believes it is not earthed.

4. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

Right, the pull cord completely plastic light switch without a metal back box that belongs to the light definitely does not have an earth in it. Does it need one? Need electrician to go up in the loft, drop one into switch and we're away?

5. Another couple of things...

1) You shouldn't be communicating directly with this buyer, nor they with you - it should all be done via your respective solicitors.
    2) My suspicion antennae are twitching like mad and telling me they are putting last-minute pressure on you to cough up a few extra £100 by pretending they are the ones keen to still meet the Friday deadline so you are the one holding things up. That is NOT the case.

I know what I would do now - I would instruct my solicitor to reply along the lines of (but obviously the solicitor will advise properly and use the correct lingo):

1) I have had a qualified electrician look at this report and I am informed that NONE of the issues raised are C1 ('Danger present. Risk of injury. Immediate remedial action required'). I was also advised that I should contact NICEIC if I have any further concerns over the content of this report.

2) Some of the issues in the report - eg lack of trunking over the fully-secured cable in the bathroom (which, I have been informed, is NOT actually required) would in any case be addressed as part of the general updating already proposed by the buyer.

3) I have already provided a very significant discount to the buyer as they they informed me they were a cash buyer. I did this on the understanding that the sale should run more quickly with no risk of a collapse of a property 'chain' from their direction. There is no valid reason that I am aware of why the Friday deadline for the exchange of contracts cannot be achieved.

4) If the Friday deadline for the exchange of contracts is not achieved, I will be withdrawing from this contract and will re-advertise my house for sale (you could even add that there are already other interested parties, at least one of whom was prepared to offer a larger sum).

BUT, take guidance from your solicitor.

BUT BUT - I would stop now communicating directly with your buyer (ask your solicitor about this). (When we were buying our current house, I used to pop in and discuss things with the couple who owned it. When our solicitor found out, he was very cross with me... :oops:)

Yes, if this falls through you will probably lose a few £undred in solicitors fees, but don't forget that this solicitor has done much of the legwork already for this sale, so shouldn't charge you anything like the full amount to proceed with a new buyer. Also, from what you say, you are very likely to achieve a greater sale price - possibly in the order of £housands. And you would have taught this arrisol a good lesson.

I suspect, however, that the buyer will come to their senses and proceed forthwith - especially if what Bazza and others have said is correct (that this leccy report is significantly over-egging the true situation).

Of course, don't threaten anything that you aren't prepared to carry through.

A house purchase and move is a MAJOR event. I know you have pressures on you to sort this asap, but don't lose sight of the years you will be living in your new home, whichever home it is. That is faaaar more important, imo.

There are lots of houses out there. Chances are you'll still be able to get the one you have your eyes on, but if you don't, then - really - don't worry.

With every house move I have made, the house I initially wanted - or thought I did - was always beaten by a far better one. Often this was due to the sale having collapsed (I was gazumped more than once), but in EVERY case I thanked my lucky stars afterwards. Ditto with folk I know around here who have had to pull out of a house purchase - again for reasons like the report was too bad, or the seller was trying to play them off against another buyer, or the seller simply changing their mind about selling; in each case I pointed out to the disappointed folk, "You have only been looking for a few months - if you found what you believed was your dream home in that short time, imagine what is still out there!". And it has - honestly every time - turned out that they were more pleased with what they eventually got.

6. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

Good Morning!

I have called and left a message with my solicitor to tell their solicitor that I will give £300 discount if they exchange today. I didn't respond to her again after providing my email address.

I think £300 is cheap to get away from people like these. There is no guarantee that the other buyers don't then do exactly the same thing and smell desperation if I call. My solicitors secretary used to be an agent and said this type of thing is common in this area. Unfortunately, I thought it a good idea to cut costs and used an online agent. I was right, the house sold itself but I didn't appreciate the impact of not having a local firm familiar with local buying "practices" to support with obtaining the best offer and progressing the sale to completion.

If they don't exchange today my agents will float the property on the market in the meantime so I can do more viewings and potentially get offers which would hopefully give them a boot up the "aris" ( ;) I like that) and if not prevent delays. I haven't said that to my solicitor but after facilitating their request there is no way I will give, ahem throw away, any more money.

Just waiting it out now :confused::(:mad: (no appropriate smiley) Still have no removal van booked, sum total of 4 empty boxes and a house full! Lalalala watching Homes under the Hammer.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I would have told them to p*** off. They either buy the house at the agreed price or they choose not to. This kind of work, a few £100, is neither here nor there.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

so would I. You've done it now. If they don't exchange today, personally they are 1) going to come back again for another hit or 2) not really so interested and looking for some reason to delay/back out.

Tomorrow, I would send another message to say that the price has gone back up to the original asking price. What others have said, unless you definitely have to move NOW, you will likely get a better price trying again, which will more than cover any slight increase from your solicitors extra costs. In most areas it's still a sellers market.

9. I agree with that.

In effect you are giving them an incentive to exchange today.

If they dont take it, withdraw it tomorrow. It WILL focus their minds and clarify their position

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Or simply put...take it or leave it.

11. That's a fair call, Lou - I can totally understand you being prepared to fork out a few £undred to these ungracious folk just to get the deal done and dusted, and I hope they come to their senses and it all went ahead today (and then you can come back for help on your new home :p).

If they were stupid enough to not go for this exchange by today's deadline, I do hope (but absolutely your call) you will re-market as you 'threatened' to.

I think you can be sure of one thing if they continue to haggle and not complete - they aren't serious about your house. Just think about it - if that were you after your house, and the seller had already offered you a multi-£k discount, would you continue to haggle over a few hundred?! Of course you wouldn't - at least not if you really wanted the place.

Fingers crossed for you :)

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Good luck Lou. Stick to your guns, you won't be sorry in the long term.

Kind regards

13. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

Well guys, not surprisingly their solicitor still didn't have the money today. :mad: The house will go back on the market at 11am simply because my solicitor said that they were in the process. However, my instructions were only to give the £300 discount today. They either don't have the money, or don't want the house, and I cannot afford to have lost my planned future and all the associated fees for it.

I called Niceic and spoke to the technical support team today. They confirmed all that you said and from the list the only neccessary "C2" change was the FI circuit which they also thought was probably not a ring at all and just needed switching to a 20A MCB or splitting into 2 x 20A MCBs (ooh hark at me ;) getting all technical) As you said, the light earthing situation not ideal but plastic fittings acceptable. Absolutely no neccessary changes to the cooker ring at all! I was a wimp and didn't tell them who it was. :rolleyes: Apparently, I wouldn't be able to do much by way of complaint anyway because I wasn't his client and didn't commission the report...:eek:

Sparkielev and Bazza like this.
  14. Well done for sorting all that, Lou.

You now know for certain that their sparky was trying it on - and that is truly shameful.

If they still come back wanting the house and are now ready to pay the deposit, then there is no reason that you shouldn't proceed if you want - but they have certainly kissed goodbye to any further savings. If they dare mention discounts again, tell them what you've told us - you have had confirmation from NICEIC themselves that many elements of the report is incorrect - and you can add that they are keen to know the name and number of their 'Approved Contractor'...

Suddenly, you hold all the aces with this scurrilous bunch :)