Electric Lawn Mower Mulching Blades/Attachments?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by glob@l, Apr 18, 2024.

1. glob@l

glob@l Screwfix Select

Does anyone have experience of such things, are they any good at finely chopping the grass

2. glob@l

glob@l Screwfix Select

I am unable to find any information online, so perhaps mulching blades or collection box blanking plugs are not available as aftermarket attachments? Any feedback would be great.

3. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Some years ago, I bought two mulching mowers. A jonsered walking mower, and a stiga ride on, as we had several acres of lawn and disposing of the arisings was a constant issue.
    When new, with the blades sharp, both machines were unbelievably effective with the grass neatly cut and the cuttings seemingly consumed.
    I expected, and would have accepted, very small clippings to be visible, but there was no evidence that the cuttings had not been transported away.
    When the blades became dulled through use it was not the same story, and it could appear no different to using an ordinary rotary mower without a collector.
    I quickly learned to sharpen the blades.
    If the machine is kept clean underneath, washed proper clean after every use, and the blade kept sharp, mulching is effective.
    Thats just my opinion though. Isn't here a gardening forum where this might be better addressed?

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I think the key is more frequent mowing so there's less debris to deal with. I used a Flymo for years and only ever raked the clippings if the grass had been long before cutting. Now have a Bosch electric rotary and that came with a mulching plug.

5. glob@l

glob@l Screwfix Select

What you have said above is consistent with articles I've read online, regarding sharp cutters and cleaning after use etc. I wanted to see if I could adapt an existing lawn mower with accessories eg a mulching cutter or a collection box blanking plug. As suggested a gardening forum would seem to be the best place to find out more. Thanks,

6. glob@l

glob@l Screwfix Select

It seems the mulching plug keeps the clipping within the deck for longer, therefor cutting them many times over. Would you consider this attachment to be effective

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Don't know as never used it. Aways have the grass box on now I have one. (Flymo didn't have the option}