Electric Shower Advice

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by koolpc, Dec 14, 2014.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Guys, my mate has an electric shower that has died.

I said i would replace it for him as done this before a few times.

Now, what concerns me is that the electric cable to the unit comes from above and directly into the shower unit from the top but is in conduit. Is this right? I always thought that the cable must be hidden / come from the rear into the unit (This is the way i have always done it).

The wall is hollow / dry lined so i may be able to feed the cable behind the wall to the unit. Unsure yet till i try as there may be a noggin in the way.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's not the best way of course but as long as the entry point to the shower is well sealed it's not a problem. At least it's in conduit which makes things a little better, even mini-trunking is better than exposed cable. (which I have seen on several occasions!)

FatHands likes this.
  3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

As sen said, but, if you can re-route it down the stud partition and bring it through the back of the shower that would be a better method. You won't really know if thats going to be possible until you remove the old one. Make sure the circuit is up-to-standard, kool, ie 30mA RCD and 10mm2 T&E.

FatHands likes this.
  4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Most showers have provisions to surface mount pioework and cable.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yeuch!

6. Lectrician

Indeed, but sometimes, needs must. Particularly in commercial type installs.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No problem having the supply in at the top as long as it goes in the right channel and back up in a separate channel inside to the terminals in the unit(providing the drip at the bend). Water is allowed in at the top and out at the bottom!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Lectrician

Exactly the reason they state not to silicone.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks chaps

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Replaced the faulty shower unit today. All went great. Power cable still in through top but new unit carries the cable behind everything and the a bend at the bottom before it goes up to connections.

Thanks people