electric shower pressure valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by nickyrannoch, Jul 27, 2015.

1. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

Hi

The PRV went on the shower in my new home. It's an aqualisa 8.5 and I can put the bearing back in place.

However, every time I turn the shower back on it goes again, although not completely just like a squirt or slow dribble rather than gushing out as before. Question is why?

Water is definitely backing up from hose. This problem gets worse the higher I hold the hose and no leak when hose lies in bath. The whole house has been kitted out on cheap from previous owners so a hose that doesn't fit wouldn't surprise me. Equally the shower head holder is about 3 foot to the right of the shower so I'm wondering if because the hose is sitting too perpendicular to unit and the water is not able to drop and is backing up.

Anyone got any suggestions or is it just a case of buying a new hose/outlet pipe/ shower head until I find the problem?

Cheers

2. Two possible causes I can think of. Sorry, wait, three.

1) (Most likely) you have a partial blockage in your shower hose. Your metal flexible hose has a plastic/rubber tube inside, and this could be kinked or creased or summat. Q - is your shower ok when the hose is disconnected?

2) Water pressure is too high. What's your cold mains pressure/flow like - is it awesome? It is possible for this to cause the PRV to blow if you turn the shower's temp to cold - ie. increase the flow through the shower to the point it cannot escape out t'ead fast enough so internal pressure goes too high. I know this can happen 'cos it happened to my in-law's shower...

3) The PRV is faulty. Too loose.

4) Your shower head is partially blocked.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know that's 4. Who's counting... :(

If it seems to be triggered by moving the hose, then I would strongly suspect the rubber internal hose is twisted or kinked, so new hose required. It won;t be a case of the water 'backing up' inside the hose when you life it high or anything 'cos the water is being delivered by mains pressure so you could life it out yer roof if you wanted and it wouldn't mind.

IF you shower works fine with the hose disconnected, and IF your head is clean, then very good chance it's chust a knack'd hose.

3. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

Cheers for reply

Did a few more tests.

Problem is replicated without shower head and water runs clean through shower head when disconnected.

Have never run the cold through the shower so wouldn't have been that.

No leak when hose disconnected and no leak when hose is left to hang under unit.

So I think a new hose is first port of call and probably a longer one than now to stop it being pulled and under pressure. I night just get a new outlet pipe with prv to be on safe side as they are cheap enough.

One last thing I have seen a lot of hoses with universal connectors but have also read dire warning that you must use the correct compatible hose. Any thoughts?

4. Electric showers do have mains cold water running through them - that's how they work.

Or do you mean that you never have turned it down to 'cold'?

From your comprehensive tests, I would agree with you that a faulty internal tube of the shower is the very likely cause.

Yes, some have narrower bores inside than others. This is particularly important when it comes to 'normal' showers which have a much higher flow rate than leccy ones. I think pretty much any type will suit a leccy shower.

They do vary a lot in quality, tho', so please don't skimp - the ones at around a £iver are usually best avoided.

5. nickyrannoch likes this.
  6. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

Cheers for your help. Yeah I meant I have never turned the shower down to cold.

I say 1.75m as that is longest I could see in b&q earlier. Will get longer if it's available.

7. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

Update on this. Fixed new hose and problem is still there.

When hose is not attached water runs through fine.

I'm assuming the bearing is maybe worn as even though water comes through the bearing is still in the housing.

With both hoses the water is also coming out of the hose/outlet pipe join. What would this indicate? Worn/crossed thread on outlet pipe?

This on a normal heat so it's not cold water pressure blowing it.

Either way I will replace outlet pipe now.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Most shower PRV's are a one shot only and need replacing as they are activated by temperature. They contain a synthetic wax compound which melts at excess temperature alloying the water to bypass thereby preventing scalding.
    Check your MI's it only a small part that is easily replaced.

9. Blimey, I'm surprised Nicky.

The shower head will certainly add a fair amount of water resistance, so I'm not too surprised that that is causing water to leak past the safety valve since it's clearly 'had it'. The valve will need replacing (they were around £10 for a Mira one I sorted recently).

A leak past the shower hose connection isn't all that unusual to begin with. Check that the removable rubber washer is there and is seated properly. In fact, remove it and give it - and all the parts it sits against - a good wipe. Do you have any silicone grease lubricant? If so, give it all a smear. (If not, worth getting a small tub - it's really useful stuff to have.)

10. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

New outlet with PRV fitted today and fingers crossed everything is fine. 25quid for outlet and hose is pleasing compared to what I was imagining having to pay when it first went.

11. Phew - pleased to hear, Nicky.

Thanks for the update.