Electric underfloor heating on floorboards

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dam0n, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Hi,

I'm planning to put electric underfloor heating in my bathroom however the floors are floorboards.

What would you recommend to use ontop of the floorboards to stop the tiles from moving/cracking? Would tile backer boards to be suitable for this? If so, what thickness as a minimum would you recommend. Ideally I don't want to use plywood as I'm concerned about raising the floor height my by too much.

Could I then use the electric underfloor heating mat directly ontop of the tile backer board?

The area is around 7m2 and the boards are screwed down tight.

Thanks very much,

2. Ridgewood12

Ridgewood12 New Member

Just a suggestion. I ran underfloor heating throughout my house including 4 bathrooms. As my home is also timber. After a bit of research landed on a between joisted system. If you check out NuHeat.co.uk.
    You can clip the underfloor heating to the underside of the floor, you can then place installation under the UFH meaning no distruotion to bedrooms, but you will need to remove the ceilings below to gain access.

Dam0n likes this.
  3. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Thanks for the reply pal. I'll have a look at the between the joists method but as I am going to have to use a tile backer board anyway before I tile the floor it makes sense to just add the heated flooring before the tiles go down.

4. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

If you want to use a tile board then ply with hakf inch first. Tile board will break under do it traffic if the floor has movement. Ply first this will get and movement out the floor. Then put the board down.