electric water heater

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jammy-Dodger, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New Member

Hi All, can you recommend a decent water heater. It needs to supply a hand-basin and a kitchen sink for basic cup/saucer washing in a shop premises.

The run from the unit to the outlet is very short, so I believe an expansion vessel would be needed if I choose a tanked system. So i'd prefer a tankless unit. Is the Redring 12.5KW any good? cheers.

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Hi Jammy Dodger,I always fit the ariston under sink heaters,I never have any call backs to them so on the whole they are pretty good.They are also only 3KW so much more efficient and you can control the temperature you want very easily, hope this helps.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New Member

thanks Plumberboy, i'm happy to take your advice. Will i need an expansion vessel? and will bog-standard mixer taps be ok? i've heard of vented and unvented. I don't know the difference.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

those can be installed without an expansion kit if the conditions are right, ie, there needs to be room for the expansion on the cold water pipework, but even so i fit a kit anyway, so can get them for about £35

FatHands likes this.
  5. plumberboy

Yes as tomplum says I always fit with the expansion vessel regardless for the cost.

6. plumberboy

A mixer tap will be fine with this heater,it is unvented so the expansion is taken up in the vessel when water is heated,a vented one will normally drip from a special designed tap into the sink.:)

7. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New Member

Sorry for the slow reply, I was away building the kitchen cabinets. Pain in the a$$ when the drawers overlap each over and don't close. Anyway, thank you all for the replies. I plan to put the heater & vessel under the sink, the loo hand basin is literally through the wall, so the pipe runs will be short.

I guess this vessel should do : http://www.screwfix.com/p/expansion-vessel-8ltr/71018

While your here, can you point me to the correct bottle trap for my hand basin, the drain outlet is a threaded thing as pictured. I've ordered a few different types and none fit.:mad:
    20140331_205004.jpg

8. plumberboy

32mm bottle trap,if the waste pipe drops straight down to the floor go for a 32mm antivac bottle trap for hand basins,40mm trap for kitchen sinks.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  10. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New Member

I've got those items now and read through the instructions. Do I HAVE to have the outlet of the PRV attached it's own pipe going outside, can I not feed it into the the existing 40mm waste? How likely is it for the PRV to be activated?

11. plumberboy

It has to exit outside I'm afraid, its a safety valve to relief pressure if there is a fault with over pressure.Sorry mate.

12. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New Member

hmm oki, the waste exit's outside, does that count? o_O

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no - building regs Part G will tell you why not

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

still no

15. plumberboy

Nice try :)

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It can't go into a plastic waste due to the likelihood of boiling water. Seen many new installs were the plumber can't be bothered though!

17. plumberboy

I know what you mean,I've seen some messy installs too.:eek: