Electrician Help please, desperate...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul O, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Paul O

Paul O New Member

Hi all, new to the forum so please go easy with replies. Have had all usual replies of could be a ghost and don't go on holiday, lol..
    Mystery is
    this one, electrics in house never trip when at home, but as soon as we leave the house for a few days/week holiday etc, we come back to no electricity as its tripped on the RCD, as I say its a complete mystery, have had all sockets tested, lights etc and all work fine... Is it that the RCD on main electric box is too sensitive? Can you get a less sensitive one? Any advice will be truly grateful. Freezer/fridge food is main reason for concern as spoilt food on numerous occasions now is becoming a nightmare Thanks

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

First thing would to be have everything 're tested.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What are your neighbours like ?

spen123 likes this.
  4. Paul O

Paul O New Member

Yeh, I think you're right, from top to bottom... But have picked every electricians brain after doing small jobs in the house and they're mystified, will take ur advice and get 1 round, thanks

5. Paul O

Paul O New Member

Eh,? I take it thats a joke, lol...
    If not please elaborate.?
    My wife's convinced it's a ghost, it happens after about 3 days in, as the sky planner tapes for a couple of days, then leccy must go off then, detective work via a sky planner?:)
    Ps, it's not the sky box as it happens even without any programmes recorded.

6. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Not sure I am reading this right but have you had the whole properly tested and inspected?

Paul O likes this.
  7. Paul O

Paul O New Member

Hi,
    Just sockets and lights, even gone as far as changing every single socket in the house (Built 1995) and still no joy

8. Paul O

Paul O New Member

9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Could be your fridge or freezer going faulty. Something that is plugged in constantly while you are away maybe a burgle alarm, fire alarm, timer light etc.

An electrical test performed by a electrician includes testing the RCD trip current, times and if you are tripping at 30mA or greater then you have a problem and it is not the RCD so changing sensitivity from 30mA is just a bad idea. You need to find the cause of your fault. Could be a loose connection that appears when the house cools down. It is amazing how much a house moves due to expansion and contraction due to weather and or heating.
    Could be condensation forming inside something and making some terminals wet in the kitchen or bathroom.

Lets also not forget that vermin like to run around when things go quite so it could be that you have a problem with rats or mice etc and they only ever come around when you are away.

Paul O likes this.
  10. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Try changing the RCD - they can sometimes trip with lower than 30ma - only a few quid...

Paul O likes this.
  11. Paul O

Paul O New Member

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Since it happens when you are away, is it something the neighbours are doing - running an extension from an outside socket to power their house or tapping into your supply some other way. Or it could be that they are partying hard and tripping something out in your place.

Paul O likes this.
  13. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Start with the basics, get it properly tested on all circuits! Could turn out cheap in the end....

Paul O likes this.
  14. Paul O

Paul O New Member

Got me thinking now, lol.
    I have just spoken to an electrician and he said he will come out and do a full test on all circuits in house, arriving Friday, will give you an update, thanks for all information

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May be worth getting some CCTV

KIAB and Paul O like this.
  16. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Coincidence as it only happens when your away haha. Get it checked you will find it. If wiring okay ask him to do a ramp test on rcd. One when equipment is plugged in them when it's not. A difference in times can show if the items leaking to earth. Tho I'd of thought it would trip reguarly

Paul O likes this.
  17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

A 30mA RCD is in spec if it trips somewhere between 15 and 30mA.

Nah. Test the RCD properly to see if it operates within spec. Test to include a ramp test.

There's nothing to be gained by guessing and
    'try changing this'
    oh, that didn't fix it
    'try changing that'

Proper testing will show where the problem is.,

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Paul O likes this.
  18. Paul O

Paul O New Member

Thank you, will take ur advice

19. Paul O

Paul O New Member

Thank you, will take ur advice

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Once again I will ask: what does a ramp test tell you that the standard tests don't for this application? If the RCD doesn't operate at 1/2 I delta n but operates within spec at I delta n (and 5 I delta n for additional protection) then what difference does it make whether it ramps at 16mA or 22mA?