Emulsion coverage issue on new plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by chalkie7, May 20, 2017.

1. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can offer some advice on this one. I'm coming towards to the end of a full renovation project and have recently started decorating the full property. All the walls have been taken back to brick, plasterboarded out and skimmed. These were left to dry out for 4 weeks before painting began.

A couple of rooms have now had a mist coat (no-nonsense emulsion for new plaster) followed by 4 coats of leyland contract matt magnolia emulsion (applied by roller) and they still look patchy as hell in certain areas. It's like parts of the new plaster will not cover properly and look 'dry' compared to the rest of the wall.

Someone did suggest trying a silk emulsion instead of matt, which I have now done in one of the rooms, but it still looks just as patchy!

Any ideas what I can do to sort this?

Cheers,
    Mark 20170520_124450.jpg

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I would of not have used the No Nonsense nonsense and mist coated with the contract matt, you now have a problem with covering over the silk as matt doesn't like sticking to new silk, may be worth lightly abrading the wall with 150 grit and priming over the problem areas with a couple of coats of bullseye 123, when dry re apply the silk emulsion.

chalkie7 likes this.
  3. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

Thanks Astramax...appreciate your response. So far I have only tried the silk in one room, so most of the property is still matt at the moment. I'll give your recommendation a whirl for sure.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You need to sand over. Seal. Emulsion with something decent like valspar trade matt magnolia. That's how I would do it. Contract emulsion has a poor finish.

5. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

Hi Wayners...so contract emulsion shouldn't actually be used for the final top coats? This I did not know!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Other Trade Matts are available!:D
    Contract matt has no vinyl in the mix so it can breath, if you still had moisture in the plaster it can dry out through the contract matt if it were a vinyl matt or the silk vinyl the moisture can't escape and the emulsion will bubble up due to trapped moisture. Contract matt can be used for top coats depending on the circumstances or used as a base for a decent top coat. Here endeth todays reading:p;)!

chalkie7 likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

When I'm skimming out rooms in older houses, the walls are 100% dry after a few days so no need to use contract matt. I skim and emulsion rooms all the time with no problems. New brick walls that have been plastered can take 6+months to dry so contract matt is a good product to allow walls to breath. It's just a naff paint though. If I'm painting over contract paint I seal then use a premium emulsion that will be hard waring and not have patches in... It's called flashing