En-suite bathroom plumbing.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ryan Ackland, May 21, 2016.

1. Ryan Ackland

Ryan Ackland New Member

Hi all.
    Below is the drawing of my bathroom and the en-suite that is going in next door. What I want to know is can I put the second toilet, (in red), onto the same discharge pipe as the first toilet, and will I need to vent it to the outside soil stack? There is a good drop on the first toilet so no worries about water from the new toilet flowing into it.

And the second thing is, the bottom drawing of the shower and basin, can I run the waste from the shower and basin on one 40mm pipe straight outside into the soil stack, or do they need to be 2 seperate pipes for the shower and the basin?

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

w/c's should be fine, need to be vented somewhere though.

Ideally, run separate shower and basin wastes. Pipe sizes need to be 32mm basin and 40mm for the shower.

If not, try and increase the common pipe run (where they join up) to 50mm that would be good, otherwise 40mm should be ok provided the run is not too long.

Your pipe fall is all important, water doesn't flow uphill. Make sure it goes downhill all the way, no flat spots!

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I've just done something very similar for a client, basically split the main bathroom into 2 to create 2 shower rooms, one of which is an ensuite.

Here's a pic of the soul stack. You don't want too much fall for a soil pipe as this can leave solids in the pipe as the water rushes over them. Sink and shower wastes combine internally into a 50mm pipe which is inline and behind the main down pipe. As both showers are off the same pump, there is no problem with flow.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Had a prob posting pic. Soil pipe was originally cast iron, but easier to replace whole lot with plastic.

Attached Files:

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My service handbook is giving a fall of 9mm/m for WC branch pipe for a single stack system.

So not much of a fall.

6. Ryan Ackland

Ryan Ackland New Member

Thanks guys. So will i not need to fit an aav to the toilet stacks? The shower is a mixer shower and not an electric, so will T off the pipework coming from the bathroom next door. Would it still be advisable to put an aav on the sink waste?

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Prob best to put a new run of 50mm waste if possible and yes, put anti vac traps on...certainly can't hurt :)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

50mm everytime for a shower nowadays, the newer showers can put out a lot of water in a minute, for example Mira shower low profile trays have 30ltrs maximun flow rate a minute, some other makes of trays, have flow rate of 54 litres per minute,depending whether shallow or deep, so 50mm pipe is essential.
    You can tee the basin 32mm pipe into the 50mm pipe, easy to get 50mm shower traps.

Last edited: May 29, 2016