End panels either side of freestanding range...

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by bjg75, Jan 21, 2015.

1. bjg75

bjg75 New Member

As above, do I need end panels on the units either side of the range cooker?

As you won't see the unit sides or the ends of the plinths do I need end panels, seems a bit of a waste.

Also, what gap should be between the cooker sides and the units? Some cooker manufactures suggest as much as 30mm which would look awful. Do modern ovens get that hot on the external sides? I know in times gone past some units would show scorch marks where the cookers butted up to them but I think modern cookers are far better insulated.

2. Do you need decorative end panels - is that what you're asking? Or an end panel that comes right to the front even at plinth level so's the plinth has something to butt tidily against?

Well, no, you don't. But your call as to what looks best.

I presume your plinths are continuous lengths which are clipped to the unit's feet afterwards? In which case are you planning to return it down each unit side so that from the front it looks as tho' they step in at the sides? Or will you just continue them along the front until they end level with the unit side and you won't see the plinth end due to the cooker?

If the latter, does the cooker have legs? If so, you'll see under it to the unfinished side of the units.

Gap? Your call. Mine is barely 10mm 'cos - like you - I hate the gaps. And my units haven't gorn on fire yet.

Yes, the manufacturers play safe because they don't want any comeback. As you say, modern ovens are far better insulated - they have to be to be energy efficient. But, that gap might also be to allow the oven itself to keep properly cool.

So, your units pretty certainly won't get scorched, but you have to be prepared to fully take the risk of other possible issues (warping doors, peeling laminate, etc) before you decide on a smaller gap.

I couldn't possibly tell you "it's ok..."

Attached Files:

3. bjg75

bjg75 New Member

Thanks, that's great advice. yes, decorative end panels to match the door colour.

The plinths clip to the unit legs so I was planning on running them to the end of the units, the cooker doesn't have legs so you wouldn't see the cut end of the plinth or the different colour unit side. It's only the units either side of the cooker which won't have end panels, there will be end panels on both ends of where the units finish (it's a U-shape kitchen).

Finally, what should the space be for an interated dishwasher, is 600mm ok for a standard size one? The ones I have looked at are between 590-595mm wide. I am having fillets either side of the dishwasher space as the units didn't quite run to the full width of the kitchen. These fillers will be cut off plinths which will come out to be flush with the cupboard doors either side. The gap will be 600mm once fillers are added, can you envisage any problems, should I leave more of a gap for the cupboard door which will attach to the front of the dishwasher, the doors are 597mm wide.

Sorry for all the questions, should have got a pro in! (pro kitchen fitter not a hooker - unfortunately)

4. The gap for most built-in appliances is 600mm - exactly. So that is the gap you should leave - exactly.

Some appliances need a 'housing' unit and, if so, this unit will be 600mm wide exactly and the appliance itself a lot less so's it fits inside.

Other 'built-in' appliances (often dish washers, tumble driers, washing machines, etc.) don't need a housing and simply sit on the floor inside the gap. In this case the appliance will typically be around 595mm wide.

So, 600mm in either case.

If the unit run doesn't quite fill the wall width, I would fit any filler strip at the wall end. I wouldn't entertain fitting it either side of the dishwasher.

5. bjg75

bjg75 New Member

Thanks, I know about the fillers but I'm not sure how to do it at the wall end as I have 2 L-shaped units at each end with another filler between a L-shaped unit and a normal unit. I thought the best would be to have a filler either side of the dishwasher and another on the end of the L unit. I have attached a plan to show what I mean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. Ah, I see.

That's always a blugger.

Depending on the actual dimensions involved, the solutions range from inserting a variable-width unit like a wine rack in the 'bottom' row so that it can be tailored for size and still look ok, or else going slightly over-size on that bottom row of units, and then trimming a small amount from the backs of all the base units up the two (or one) side rows. This might also mean that the worktops on these two side rows also need trimming to suit, but that's part of the package for a kitchen fitter.

Or, by all means insert additional panels in between existing base units.

But I don't think it'll look 'right'.

If you must add filler strips, I think the best place would be against the corner posts only - done carefully it should look like just a slightly wider post.

What sort of width are you looking to 'hide'?

7. bjg75

bjg75 New Member

Thanks again, it's about 54mm which is the thickness of three fillers. What would I use for a wider filler? I only have plinths or end panels that I can use and these are both 18mm thick.

8. The 'fillers' don't need to be whole panels going down the sides of the units - they can simply be strips the required width cut from your existing panels and the height of a base unit (less legs) - they only have to sit at the front.

Eg - if you wanted a single 54mm filler, the strip you would cut would be ~740 x 54 x 18 (panel thickness).

So what I think I would do in your situation above is to cut two 27mm wide strips of decorative panel, each one 740 long (the exact height of your base unit (and which is also the exact height of a corner post...)

Then attach them to each corner po...

Oops, wait a minute - chust had a second look at your drawing - you are using them 'L'-shaped 900mm corner base units? They don't have corner posts... :(

Hmm, not quite sure what I'd do there - there are a number of options.

You could decide to chust use two 27mm wide strips where the two corner units meet their adjacent units - that would be more consistent, but would probably be more obvious.

You could decide to cut four slimmer strips - 13.5mm wide - and fit one between every bottom row unit - at least it'll be more balanced. No idea what that would look like.

You could decide to swap one of these 2 bottom row units by one a 100mm less wide and then construct a 154mm wine rack.

You could decide to swap one of these 2 bottom row units for one that's 100mm wider and then trim 27mm off the backs of all the base units coming up on each side (yes, the worktop would need trimming that much too, so the unit would be as deep as the tall housings or the cooker...)

You could move all the 'side' base units further out by 27mm and then fit a deeper worktop to suit (a 640 wide breakfast bar with one rounded edge trimmed off...)

You could...

I think you need to make a judgement on what having slim infill strips in between each base unit would look like - and I think 4 of 13.5mm wide ones would look hopefully less obvious - and will at least be consistent - than 3 of 18mm ones and one unit without.

Or go the 154mm wine rack route.

Or, go the 154mm wide gap but find/cobble a nice chrome rack to sit in there that holds your dishwasher ingredients...

Or summat.

PROS! HELP!:eek: