Engineered Wood Floor in Conservatory

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Damian30, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Damian30

Damian30 Member

Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the right place to ask...but would it be a bad idea to install a natural oiled oak engineered wood floor in a conservatory (i.e. from a movement and fading perspective)?

Depending upon the answer, would it also be madness to install by secret nailing to a plyboard subfloor.

Any views much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In my experience it's a bad idea, a few year ago I used to build conservatory bases for a local company, about six months after finishing one, we got a call back to say the brickwork had moved around the conservatory doors.

It had moved about 10mm on the DPC, it was the wooden floor expanding and pushing on the inner bricks, this inturn due to wall ties, pushed the outer bricks off the DPC at the point of least resistance, ie: where the doors are.

I was gob smacked that a timber floor could do this.

3. Blimey - scary!

Damian, wood floors will expand and contract inside the main house to some degree, and that's why you need an expansion gap.

Most conservatories are a completely different kettle of worms again, and the levels of moisture in there will be hugely greater than that in your home. Ergo, you will almost certainly have problems - perhaps not as serious as outlined by Phil, but good chance gaps will open up, warping could occur, etc.

Unless your connie is a 'proper' extension with an insulated roof, etc., and not one of these with polycarb sheeting etc.

Ie - is your connie used all year round; is it kept just as warm and ventilated as the rest of your home? If so, then you should be ok.

Or is it like most - 'freezes' overnight, has condensation running down the windows every morning...