Estimating time to fit a bathroom extractor fan

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dave Stewart, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

I'm looking to install a bathroom extractor fan at the weekend, and was just looking to get an idea of how long it might take.

Going on the time it took the BT engineer to move a boiler (4 hours) and a builder mate and I to install a shaver socket (90 mins) I really can't see it taking longer than 2 or 3 hours:

- bore hole in brick
    - install extractor fan
    - wire spur (either from kitchen if possible, or via light fitting)
    - test
    - do plasterboard repairs
    - bit of cleanup

If anyone's done this before and thinks I'm being optimistic, please let me know!

Many thanks :D

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

BT Engineer to move a boiler. :eek::eek::eek:

How longs a piece of string, if no problems then yes 3 hours should be enough, but it could take all day if something happens unexpected.

tore81 likes this.
  3. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

Whoops! BG, BG engineer to move the boiler :p

4. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Install isolation point if running off a light.

5. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

Yes of course, was including that in the wiring point :)

Times seem reasonable to you, Phil?

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

boring the hole might take a while depending on your wall construction, drill and core bit. and how much energy you have!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Often with adding an additional socket / appliance, etc, the longest part of the job can be getting the cables from A-B (unless surface mounting)

Do you have access from above from the lighting circuit

Fan with overrun timer being fitted ?

8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

How about fitting an in line fan through ceiling and out the soffit, far easier than coring a cavity wall

9. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

Weeeellll... the BG engineer bored through the wall in about 10 mins, so think it's pretty standard stuff with a diamond core drill.

Getting to the lighting circuit will have to be holes in the plasterboard and a cable access kit I think, unless the spark thinks it's cool to take a spur from the kitchen (this is a downstairs bathroom, right next to the kitchen), literally through the stud, across 2 cabinets, and down behind the tiles (all accessible) where the boiler is, and where the electrics come in to service the boiler and washing machine.

10. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

And yes, overrun timer, so I assume I'll need a fixed mains supply.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You need a switched live from your bathroom light Dave and a permanent live/ neutral from somewhere if you want it to operate when you switch your light on.

12. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

Yeah, though it has a humidistat, so I'd like it to run independent of the light as this is the downstairs bathroom so it will be used all day by people not taking showers.