Euro lock spinning from one side

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by UKSPEED, Dec 15, 2014.

1. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

Hi,

My front door lock will only lock/unlock from one side. The other side the key just spins. I believe it is a KM series cylinder.

I've had the cylinder out and it seems to be moving the same with the key in both sides. When I put the cylinder back in, the lock worked on both sides for a couple of attempts, and then it stopped working again.

Can anyone point me towards what part could be failing?
    Thanks

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is it spinning because there is a key in the other side ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Biffo

Biffo Member

new cylinder

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Yup......don't faff about, just replace it.

5. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

Sorry when I said in both sides I meant alternating. Keys aren't in both sides at the same time.

6. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

I just don't know if it needs a new cylinders or if it's the backset that would be broken?

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sounds like it's broken. New cylinders are cheap enough and replacing them is quite easy. ;);)

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Pay extra for an anti snap and bump cylinder.

Joe95 likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This will help you make sure you get the right size cylinder, you could opt for a thumb turn, not sure whether it is a requirement for a main exit door?

[​IMG]

10. Biffo

Biffo Member

Thumb turn cylinders ... easiest lock to bypass ..... avoid

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...I've seen some list them like this example: 50x10x40. (in the above digram it would be 55x45)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Ragmans Trumpet

Ragmans Trumpet New Member

The Tip of the Key could be worn and not engaging the Cam, go to www.grahamtowler.com locksmith downloads, there are two articles there that may help

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Should be simples to take the lock out and give it a look-see, usually a cross-head screw by the lock holding the cylinder in place. Un do screw and remove lock.

14. Russell Steedman

Russell Steedman New Member

You could buy a new cylinder incase it is broken and try it to see if it works. Then return it if you don't need it.