Evolution Mitre Saw Smoked from Motor

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Theleman, May 23, 2017.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Hi All

I was cutting some woods this afternoon with the Evolution Rage 3 255mm Mitre Saw, and smoke was coming out from the end of the motor. The saw stopped working dead silent for a while.

Smoke was keep coming out for a few seconds, then stopped. So I tried operating it again, and it was working again.

This is less than a year old, and have not been used that much maybe a few times light job. But this saw is huge heavy and looks real heavy duty saw. What could happened to the motor? Is it finished?

It seems working just now, but something must have happened to the motor with that amount of smoke coming out stopping the motor for a few seconds, and it looks as if it will not work for too long.

I was only cutting a few wood branches not anything hard such as metal or stones or like that.
    Should it be taken back to the shop for return?

Thanks in advance.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It should be returned with a full explanation of what has happened. Did you buy it from Screwfix? Saying this there is no guarantee that they would refund or change for new, because if it is proven that it has been used outside its design parameters then this will nullify guarantee etc.

As a point of note - did or have you forced the saw through wood at any time?

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I think it was either Screwfix or Amazon. Cannot recall now, as we bought quite a few tools last year from eBay, Amazon and some from Screwfix.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I think your first port of call would be to try and sort out where you bought it, and find the relevant receipt

5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yes, I will. Thanks.

For the saw, is it definitely broken?

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is it broken? Impossible to answer - however you say you have used it after the smoke incident with no more smoke evident, so does it all seem to be working normally?

Have you ever forced the saw through wood? You know cutting with excess pressure?

7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

No I have never forced the saw through the wood. It seems working but feel the motor is turning weaker than before.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Reason for asking is that if you use excess pressure and you get the blade to nigh on stall point whilst cutting - this will smoke the saw and could possible damage the windings and stuff.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes its going home Mr T..from what you say it is synonymous with forcing saw - but if you say you haven't then start looking for the receipt m8, and good luck.

10. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I don't think it happened like that. It was working OK, and suddenly it happened, and I was cutting some tree branches. I will try to find the receipt. Thanks for your info.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No probs Mt T - just one more question : - What od approximately were the tree branches? and were they green or dried out?

12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

How big were the branches? Were they wet, as is freshly cut?

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must say that I have never heard of a chop saw being used for tree branches - my advice Mr T is that if you do that kind of thing in the future, then the purchase of a Sabre Saw with appropriate blade might be more pertinent..and if the branches are really large, then maybe the use of a chainsaw is indicated.

14. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

They are not dried out, but not fresh either. They were about 6 inches in diametre.

15. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Same things happened to my hedge cutter bought from Argos. It was made in China make, cannot remember what name it was. I was cutting the front hedge, and suddenly motor was smoking. So I had to unplug it, and stop cutting the hedge. But it was almost the end of the hedge so I just put it away. That one warranty was over, and it kinda worked but slowly died, and I put it in the bin. Bought a battery operated hedge cutter.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I suspect the above smoked the winding's Mr T - this type of wood is sappy and maybe resinous and will drag down the saw to nigh on stall point sometimes. Anyway all the best Mr T.

17. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Thank you JP. ATB.

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Please don't take offence but given that you've used a 10" 'all purpose' bladed chopsaw to cut 6" unseasoned branches I don't recommend that you pick up or even look at a chainsaw until you have taken training in their correct and safe use. In the wrong hands they are simply lethal. You might not like what I've said and there are lots of people on this forum who will give you excellent (and friendly) advice but they can't do that if you're dead!

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If the saw is working now, its probably fine, but only time will tell. I have an old Erbauer cordless drill and it started smoking once for no reason, after a long period of not being used. It seemed quite dramatic at the time, but it was temporary and works fine.

I doubt your retailer would do anything much if its working OK at the moment.

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As an aside, these use brushed motors I think, so worse case if its working OK now, is that you need to change the brushes for a few quid.