Expansion vessel,

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gordy1, Oct 1, 2014.

1. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hi, I am replacing my boiler expansion vessel with a larger wall hung one, can I just T straight in with a flexible 22mm tap connector, from the c/h flow pipe, to the vessel,(fix it straight to the bottom of the vessel), I don't require a pressure gauge as the boiler has its own in built one, & can I leave the old defunct one in place to save any unnecessary,blanking off,(this is attached to the boiler). Does it have to go to the flow pipe as the return is easier to get to,hope I make my self clear,thanks .

2. Hi Gordy.

Nice work in Skotland with the 'Better Together' campaign, by the way.

Anyways, yes the old tank can stay in the boiler. Yes, you can connect the new one with whatever method you fancy. Having said that, if you are going 'flexi', don't buy super-cheap. Probably a good idea to fit an isolating valve in the line too it in case it needs to be removed at any time.

Can it be fitted on the flow instead of the return? No idea 'cos I'm not a plumber. But I cannot think of any reason whatsoever why you couldn't - the pressure in the whole system is pretty even throughout, so really the expansion tank should be ok anywhere too.

But, I'm sure a plumbie will be along to confirm.

You may need a tyre pressure gauge to charge up your new tank with air first - does it have a tyre Shraeder valve on it? If so, around 1 bar should be fine, and then pressurise your system to the same 1 bar using the top-up tap.

3. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

most flexi tap connectors are not rated for the temps of heating systems, best to hard pipe these. Best on the return, it will last longer on lower temps.

4. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Better together I think,
    Thanks for the reply Devils Advocate, & yes it does have a shraeder valve., also thanks to itchyspanner

5. "Better together I think"

:D