Experienced Worker Practical Assessment Route (EWPAR) to NVQ Level 2 in Site Carpentry

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Geordie Taylor, May 2, 2011.

1. Geordie Taylor

Geordie Taylor New Member

Is anyone looking to achieve this qualification? Support and guidance from initial interest to completion of the award is availible.

Courses running weekly in North Yorkshire. On site assessment and training is also availible.

Please get in touch.

Aye,

Geordie

2. hi andy here.im interested in the EWPA route for site carpentry.i have been doing all aspects of joinery with a shopfitting company which ive been employed with for the last 12 years.the company is about to go under in the next 2 weeks and i need to get my cscs card quickly.i have evidence of my work through photos,wage slips.i should be able to get a letter from my boss outlining my experience.i booked and passed my health and safety test last week aswell.how much would it cost to get the nvq 2 so i can get my cscs card.thanks 

3. penwoods

penwoods New Member

Hi,
    Would be very interested in finding more info
    Cheers

4. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

why do you need an nvq to be able to have a cscs card    besides, geordie tennor is a spammer selling his course on ere?  try the normal route to advertising, wuud you???

5. Geordie Taylor

Hi Andrew, Sorry for the delay in responding to you. If you are being made redundant the EWPAR route may well suit you. And i also understand that it is Govermnent funded depending on your status i.e. are you self employed, have you claimed for training in the past? You can also apply for an upgrade on the CSCS card once you've completed.

Give me a shout and i'll give you the details of those that run the course. Just to clarify on Palavaman's coments below, i'm not selling courses. I do the assessing for them as a sub-contractor.

Aye,

Geordie

6. Geordie Taylor

Hi Mate,

The info above for Andrew may help. In essence though if you're an expericnce site carpenter (5 years is suggested) you can attend a two day assessment which can be cramed in to one day if you have your health and safety ticket.

You have a professional discussion and make a timber frame in 6 hours - it is very straight forward if you're an active carpenter in most forms. For example i've worked with shop fitters, form work carpenters and roofers.

I hope that this helps.

Aye,

Geordie

7. Geordie Taylor

Hi Palavaman,

No selling courses mate; i'm a carpenter and joiner who does a bit of assessing for somone else. I believe that good carpenters are walking away from the industry due to the bureaucracy of getting on site in order to earn a decent wage.

i just want to get the word out there particularly when it can be funded by the government; there may just be such a thing as a free lunch afterall!

And we all need to make a living afterall.

Best,

Geordie

8. sam23

sam23 New Member

Looked good m until i googled it and the goverment funding is being withdrawn in july 2011

9. ive booked an  E.W.P.A with superskills down in thirsk. my test date is friday 24th june. are you one of the assesors they use ?. ive tried to get funding towards the cost but have been told that all funding for courses has stopped. i know its alot of money to shell out but by doing this course and then getting a c.s.c.s will be worth it in the long run and proof of my ability from the last 12 years.especially now that the place where i work has just gone into liquidation.

10. Geordie Taylor

Hi Andy,

Yes mate. I'll be working with you on the day. I'll give you a bell to discuss it early next week.

Aye,

Geordie

11. Geordie Taylor

Can you get it in quickly mate? If you're self employed then i would think that the total cost can be attributed to your tax liability; just a thought.

Aye,

Geordie

12. sam23

sam23 New Member

I did consider it paying for it . They say that the entry paper work has to be completed by april this year and start the course by july and  funding cut by july , and you must complete your course by october . So if you were the last to register you would have to complete it in 6 months ,

I am looking down the OSAT course as am self employed and work alone most of the time . Have contacted business link re funding as I have no formal qualifications . Just 15 years in the trade .

13. Geordie Taylor

I think that OSAT may be more expensive although 15 years in the trade should keep the visits down to a minimum. I'd planned four for a carpenter with similar experience earlier in the year. The Construction Awards Alliance may be able to help you find someone local to you.

There are swings and roundabouts with both OSAT and EWPAR. No big sell, but the EWPAR can be cracked over a weekend; job done.

14. Just done my EWPA today.Very thorough practical assesment and professional discusion.Very nervous to start with but put at ease by Geordie throughout the whole process.If there is anyone who are thinking of going down this route,get it booked and get an nvq level 2 so you can get a decent cscs card. Any idiot can get a green cscs card (labourers card).Most sites wont accept these cards anymore for a skilled worker to do there spcified trade.So it pays in the long run to do the coarse and get the right card. Andy

15. Geordie Taylor

Hi Sam,

Government funding is still available. If you have not attained Level 2 status in anything else. For example 5 GCSEs (grades a* to c) equaits to level 2 status as does an A-Level. Go for it!

Aye,

Geordie

16. Geordie Taylor

Thanks Andy,

All the best,

Geordie

17. Geordie Taylor

[​IMG] Ross George from Reading making the timber frame.

18. Geordie Taylor

[​IMG] Fred Eagle from Keston in Kent making the timber frame. Fred is profoundly deaf, mostly self taught and absoulutely all over the assessment.

19. Geordie Taylor

EWPAR on Sat 23 July - Just been asked to assess for one carpenter in North Yorkshire on Sat 23 July which means that there are 3 places availible on that day if anyone is interested? Please get in touch if you'd like to discuss the process from start to finish.

I worked with 3 lads yesterday who were all successful and funded by the Govt.

Aye,

Geordie

20. Geordie Taylor