Exposed brickwork beneath external render problem

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hellphires, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hellphires

Hellphires New Member

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and need some advice.

I recently bought a mid 1860's Victorian terrace and last year, we re-did the courtyard patio at the back of the house. The previous owner had some awful pebbledash in which sloped away from the back door to the garden as the pic below shows.

Old Pebbledash.jpg

We removed this and managed to lower the level of the paving slabs that we put in by about a foot, making the area much nicer.
    New Paving.jpg
    However, this exposed the brickwork foundations below the external render and bead and I don't really know what to do with it.

Exposed Brickwork 1.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any form of damp course on this wall of the house though there is one on the extension at the back.

Exposed Brickwork 4.jpg
    Exposed Brickwork 3.jpg
    Would I be ok to just render this (it wouldn't be vertical due to the un-even brickwork), leaving a gap between the new render and the paving edge, fill this with some decorative slate so that water can drain below the paving or is there a better solution?

Should I paint the render with masonry paint? Should I use bitumen paint?

Any advice gratefully received!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Hellphires

Hellphires New Member

Anyone?

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The traditional way is to "parge" it with a thin coat of cement render put on quite roughly with a trowelled or brushed finish - like below. Once it has dried t can be painted

upload_2017-4-1_0-23-46.png

KIAB likes this.
  4. bopoman

bopoman New Member

Cementing is the best option for you.

5. Hellphires

Hellphires New Member

Thanks for the advice. Along the lines I was thinking!