Facebook and identity theft

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Nov 6, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why is it that people still fail to see the risks of using Facebook and leaving details exposed or responding to requests from people you don't know. I had to go through it yet again, after she accepted a request from a a stranger.

I picked one of the people that posted on her wall and asked her to tell me when two minutes were up.

In that time I had found all the persons details, home and mobile numbers. home and all their previous addresses, their education history and schools attended ,their parents names and address, where they shop, bank name, price paid for their house etc. schools their children go to etc.

And I didn't even try that hard!

If a person walked up to you in the street and asked for all these details, most people would tell them where to go. However, it seems fine to do it online.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Will never understand people who as you say, post all their details for the world and his wife to see, then put up a post saying 'cant wait for holiday in three days time', or words to that effect, basically advertising an empty house for all the local pikeys to pillage. More than that, why do they think people care??

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Crazy isn't it. Some feel obliged to tell the whole world their business. Plain fact.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The thing is when people ring up firms and go through an identity all they ask is names, address, DOB etc. The details which are on Facebook :mad:

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thats how i got abducted by aliens! Ruddy facebook! o_O

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Im on holiday but my very big dog is still at home!!!

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Does he/she like people? Or do the bones stick in the throat? :D

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you ever want to see the power of a dog, you need to see mine gone through bone - bite pressure over three times that of a pit bull. We give him cow bones and its like us biting into a crunchy

9. Ethan Reed

Ethan Reed New Member

Yes, I agree. It's not really clever (no offenses) to post all information about yourself. Nowadays it can threaten to your safety.

10. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

There's the story of a chap with no computer who went out and told perfect strangers in the street his name, what he had for breakfast, where he lived, his phone number, address and date of birth. he did that all morning and by 11.30 he'd got six followers: a social worker, two psychiatric nurses and three policemen.