Factory Restore of Vista PC

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, May 31, 2017.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You wont be able to keep it if you wipe the machine. If you have the 'correct' product key and Office CD then it can be installed after the upgrade to Win 7.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. Cool.

Ok, what I'm gonna do is download the Win 7 on to a DVD and then format the whole drive. If the disc turns out to not be an 'auto-install' type, then I'll load Linux on to the machine first so's I can get back on t'net and then download directly on to the machine.

I have recovered the Office key and will sort that afterwards.

3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

There are many pre loaded drives on ebay.

4. Well, I formatted the 'back-up' section of the hard drive to get rid of some of the stuff, and then I simply tried the Win7 install from a burned disc.

I now have Win 7 :)

And now't else :(

It nicely wiped away everything in its path.

But I think I'll be able to reinstall Office ok.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Nice one DA

6. Well, I thought it had wiped away everything in its path...

All the old carp is still there.

Righty-hoo, I'm gonna format the whole bludy HDD. I understand this has to be done through command prompts?

I have my Win7 on a DVD in ISO form, and fully expanded on another disc. Q - will these self-boot if I ask the PC top boot from DVD? Or does it need converting in to a 'bootable' disc first? (I've had all sorts of conflicting info on this...)

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

ISO should be bootable DA. Just set the computer to boot from dvd first.

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

If it finds no operating system/boot stuff on C, it will probably look at the dvd/CD drive next automatically.

9. I'll give it a bash, then :D

If you don't see me on here for a while, then I'll - er, have to use my main computer...

10. joinerjohn1

Don't forget to scrape the porridge off the screen before you try installing anything else on it. :p:p:p:p

11. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

The ISO is just an "image" so if you've copied that directly to a dvd then it wont boot but if the "expanded" copy has been created by something like Rufus or WiNToBootic then it extracts all the files from that image including the bits need for booting the system and burns them to the DVD. No need to use the command prompt to wipe the drive, as said in previous post just boot from the dvd, select advanced installation and delete the partitions - cant remember the exact wording but when it lists the drive letters / space availble etc there is an extra menu that allows you to format/ delete partitions. If you delete all the partitions, select the "empty" drive and the click install the setup prog will create all the needed partitions, format the drive and do a clean install.

12. joinerjohn1

ISO files are bootable . I downloaded Win10 ISO file direct from Microsoft, burned it to a dvd and it will boot on any computer capable of running Win10 .

13. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Guessing that was via the "windows 10 media creation tool"? If so it may have download the ISO but it still needs to extract it before burning it to DVD. ISOs are nothing more than images or snapshots of a disc - simply copying one to a DVD will end up with a disc containing somefile.iso and not much else. For example i have games, movies and music discs stored as ISO images - they are exact copies of the original discs in a single file but unless i burn them to disc, mount them as a virtual drive or extract files from them they wont to anything other than take up hard drive space.

14. joinerjohn1

Does an ISO file not self extract itself whilst installing? Seemed to on mine.

15. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

No, an ISO is just an exact copy of a source disc - stuff like the windows 10 media creator may download AND extract / burn the image but that's down to the tool and not the ISO itself. Own its own an ISO is just a file sat on a hard drive, server, or whatever waiting for something to happen to it - its nothing more than a collection of data stored in one file for ease of use with the intention of being able to replicate exactly the disc it was taken from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image gives a bit more info / explains it better than i can lol.

16. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Get into the boot stage by slapping f10 or f8 after powering on. Configure for your boot up. Sometimes i used a windows 5 DOS kit and a plug in diskette reader. That got a response, and i did the format from DOS, after which the install set off apace as normal. Sometimes using software from different manufacturers works. In effect once the PC has some idea of what it is, it can get on with updating and so on.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  17. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Gluggy is right... an ISO file wont be bootable... when it's burnt onto DVD, if done using the right method, it's unpacked and becomes a bootable DVD... if the right method isn't used, then it's the ISO file that's on the DVD, which then WON'T be bootable!

It varies depending on which software is used to do the burning, but usually the option needed says something along the lines of " burn disc from image"

By way of analogy...

You go to IKEA, (or similar), with your van, buy a flatpack wardrobe. (i.e download the ISO file)
    Take it outside to you van and just put the flatpack in the van. (i.e. burn the ISO file onto the disc, as a DATA file... this ISN'T bootable)
    or,
    Take it out to your van, assemble the wardrobe, and put the wardrobe in the van, (i.e. burn IMAGE TO DISC... this is bootable)

Sorry to be a geek! Hope this helps!

Regards,

Cando

18. Thank you, all - much appreciated.

After a few frustrating hours of trying to format my HDD by doing a 'system restore' - to no avail - I have resorted to upgrading to Win 10 because it has this feature built in.

(I'd tried making a Repair Disc from 7 and then using this to repair/reinstall 7 and carrying out a format in the process, but Nah. I tried a full re-install of 7 hoping it would give me the option of 'wiping' as it did so. Nah. (And I now have two copies of 7 running on my machine...)

I tried deleting all the unwanted old stuff manually, but it is 'owned' by TrustedWhatsit, and all my attempts at taking ownership so's I could then delete them was only successful with some files - and it was taking an age.

So, I'm hoping '10' will clean me up at long last. Porridge an' all.

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

20. Cheers, Kools.

I was expecting and hoping - and looking out for - this option, but nah - it didn't appear.

I wonder if the reason is that I didn't install Win7 from a bootable source, but instead from a downloaded file? Ie, it wasn't done through changing my booting source to DVD or USB, but by simply clicking on - and unzipping - the Win7 file that I'd downloaded.

I'm as sure as a sure thing that the 'wipe all yer sh**' option didn't appear.

I've even made a 'Repair' disc and hoped I could use that - but the option doesn't appear there either.

Bludy annoying.