Fascias and soffits

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by John Hepburn, Dec 22, 2014.

1. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

Hi,
    I have just bought a property with a slate roof that needs new PVC fascias and soffits. Is it possible to take the old ones off and replace, without stripping back tiles as the slate is fairly old, I have had a roofer look at the roof and say it's perfectly fine, so don't want to touch the slates if I can help it

Thanks

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are the current fascia wood or PVC?

And id the house in a conservation area?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it is timber, and it is 'fairly' sound, consider cladding over and providing plenty of vents in the soffit.
    You may find the first tile(bottom slate) is nailed to the top of the timber fascia, and may be the only fixing holding them there!
    Removing the timber fascia means removing the under-tiles/slate and then thinking of a way to re-attach them to the new fascia. Not to mention perhaps renewing some of the felt there!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.
  4. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

Hi
    The wood isn't really any good and all the surrounding buildings are using upvc.
    Thanks

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its upto you which material you go with.

But in my eyes slate is a natural material so wood should be used, plastic and slate do not go together. The original wood is probably over 100 years old.

The last row of tiles are nailed at the top and may rest on a 'tilting fillet' or the fascia board itself to raise it.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If the slates are from the original roof, there may not be an under-felt.

Therefore you may not need additional ventilation?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is the guttering plastic or cast iron?

You will probably want to upgrade this at the same time.

There are some good plastic cast-iron look alike guttering available.

FatHands likes this.