Feeling extremely fortunate.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by longboat, Dec 8, 2016.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Cheers to all for the kind sentiments. :)

CGN likes this.
  2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

U an old git now? :p

longboat and CGN like this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That's good news. :):):)

longboat and CGN like this.
  4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, listen to radio 4, watch question time and can't stand all this new fangled rubbish that's played on the wireless these days,,,,,,, oh bejeebus, I sound like me father. :D

Deleted member 33931 and Joe95 like this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I love religious music

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Oh lawd, you really do sound old!:p

longboat likes this.
  7. What has it got another name?

longboat, Joe95 and CGN like this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Well i don't call my transistor radio a wireless!:D

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It's great that my kid's are now old enough and they understand who I'm referring too when I repeat some of the phrases (in a geordie accent) that my dad would always say when I was their age.
    Has them giggling for ages and asking for more.
    Bloody shame he's gone, he would have adored them.

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Wireless, radio 4, Blimey great grandad. :p:p:p:p:p

longboat likes this.
  11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If he'd bought a 'dab' radio he'd still called it a wireless. :D

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The five p's. ;-)

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I left my old Makita DAB radio in the back room for my dad, he calls it a wireless too. He's 73, so knows it's a 'radio'

He can turn it on, off and adjust the volume...:rolleyes: Its always left on 'Classic FM':eek:
    But he still uses a transistor radio in the kitchen, nothing like the sound of one of them coming on!:)

longboat likes this.
  14. Radio 4 is truly fab.

If anyone thinks it's fuddy-duddy, give it a try for a couple of days - switch it on when you get up, keep it with you during the day, and even try it in the evening. You will not believe the variety and quality of programs. The vast majority are genuinely compulsive. And don't get me started on the Archers...

For decent music, get a DAB an tune it to BBC 6 Music. Even the bad songs are good. I mean, there is no commercial pappy carp like on EVERY other station. You won;t like every song, but you will at least appreciate that they are good at what they are even if not your taste.

But most of it is GREAAAAT!

FatHands, chippie244 and Joe95 like this.
  15. Phil, it's only 7 years old? That's nothing for a modern car.

The brakes should not have failed completely. Did you stamp fully hard on them - I mean, when one circuit fails, the pedal can sink down a shocking amount and your mind - being used to the normal feel - will think it's 'all gorn'. But if you were to 'floor' the pedal, you should still stop with very decent force.

If you really had zero brakes - or anything close - then there's something else seriously amiss.

Phil, what sort of reports did you find about Mondeo brakes on t'net?

16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Radio 2 and Absolute for me. :)I sometimes have radio 4 on and have never tried radio 6.

The discussions are my favourite on radio 4. The same reason I like radio 2 in the morning, phone in discussions.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I like radio 4 too.

Can't remember the presenter at the time, but a few years back they had Dolly Parton on.

'Now most people will remember Dolly for two things...big hair and big hits!' :D

Joe95 likes this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Horrible thing to happen.

I had complete brake failure about 15 yrs back. Not trying to 'trump' Long's experience...it just bought back a few memories!

Was on the way to a music festival with friends. I was driving ahead with one of my mates, 2 driving down about half hour behind us.
    Anyway, everything going fine, in good spirits going down motorway, pulled off to get on to A roads. Coming off roundabout and starting to accelerate a bit, only doing about 40 then notice car ahead slowing down and stopping to make a right turn. Plenty of braking distance so Started to brake and foot went straight to the floor, started pumping pedal...nothing, pulling on handbrake...nothing...dropping down gears and thinking there is no way I'm going to stop! Can't pass car on the inside, 10ft drop into a ditch on the left...all happened so fast. In a split second, I'm trying to look past the stopped car and can't see anything coming towards me, can see a wide driveway where the car in front wants to turn into, so decide to beat him too it. What I hadn't seen was a fast approaching car due to the colour of it and the lighting conditions!! As I swerved past the car in front to make the turn, approaching car T boned us. Hell of a bang. Took a good 30 seconds to come to. Look across at my mate...nothing, but then starts coming round. Beginning to get a realisation of what's happened, then look across at the car that's hit us. See a woman slumped across the wheel, smoke coming from the bonnet of her car, fluids leaking all over the road! Really thought it was going to set on fire. Got out the car, managed to open the door of her car...she had come to, and got her out the car. Just a real mess, frint of her car completely smashed, all the roof on my car pushed up but thankfully we were all still alive.
    Anyway, hindsight is a great thing, should simply have ran into the back of the car in front...but in those split seconds, that doesn't occur to you.

Two things then happened. Police arrived, and one happened to be best copper you could have wished for. Asked some questions, asked me if Id been drinking ( of course I hadn't) as the car was piled up with beer. He said 'look lads, we'll clear this up now, call your mate, get him to pick you up and go and enjoy your festival'...which we did...sort of!

Obviously had all the insurance to sort etc and travelling back to the recovery firm to get my personal possessions out the car, never heard nothing for a few months, then the letter arrived...

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

6 music is great, music by music lovers and music makers.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Whole heartedly agree, re, rad4. It's always on in the car, afternoon drama's are usually top notch and the half six comedy slot of an evening is spiffing.
    TNQ, the best o the bunch!

If loving radio 4 is wrong,,,,,, then I don't wanna be right!
    :D
    Praise be.