Few questions on sink fitting (bought with no instructions)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by FatHands, Aug 16, 2014.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Evening :)

Bought a sink from the bargain isle at B&Q with no box or instructions and hoping for a few pointers (again).

1) Has the drain plug been assembled with the seals the right way around (the black one is very thin compared to the white one which is far thicker and stronger in comparison. Does one go underneath the plug and the other outside between the nut and the basin? If so, which way around? At a guess the thicker one to keep it water tight, the thin one just on the back of the brass nut?

2) The tap has tiny flexible hoses which go almost all the way to the top not allowing any room for a crows-foot spanner, or nowt! Are these just done up by hand? Also, ok to connect directly to the relevant supplies? I seem to recall my mate saying there is some contraption you can use for a single outlet tap which serves hot and cold although no idea what its called, or if i need one!

3) I was planning on boxing the whole lot in - including the pedestal upright. Is is ok to do this? My thoughts are if it ever developed a leak because its only a small basin and not used often, would go un-detected.

Thanks, as always.
    Fats

Attached Files:

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

1. ignore the washers, follow my vid for a water tight seal every time,

2. hand tight is ok, make sure it has the litle rubber washers on the bit that goes in the tap body,
    3. if its all water tight there's no reason not to box in, but I would't, if the trap gets blocked or the taps need changing it makes hard work for yourself, any the futer owner

FatHands likes this.
  3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Fathands is that your fathand in that picture(sorry couldn't help myself):):):)

FatHands likes this.
  4. plumberboy

Tom you have a video for every occasion, Goodman!!. But you are slacking on the greenhouse updates.:)

5. FatHands

Many thanks for posting Tom. Your video's are great - keep them coming!
    I will do as you do in the video with plumbers mate and silicone. How long does plumbers mate keep for? If its still soft, will it be OK?
    Yeah, good point about boxing it in, think i'll leave it mate!
    Thanks for all your excellent help!
    Fats

6. FatHands

Hi PB,
    it is mate! Do you like it lol. :D

plumberboy likes this.
  7. plumberboy

:p:p:p:p:p

FatHands likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

1) Can't see in the picture clearly, but the waste should be 'slotted' This is where the overflow water goes through from the basin.

2) Only need hand tight and never by mechanical means, make sure rubber o-rings are present. It would also be a good idea to label the H and C tap tails.

3) Boxing is is not a good idea, it will need regular maintenance and reduce the room you already have.

FatHands likes this.
  9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

fats plumbers mait stays soft and it will seal good, when i was a lad we used putty, that hardened but still did the job, we'd often mix it with boss white for a 'belt and braces' make sure job, but plumbers mait is an improvement and it has a plumbers smell to it, splash some on instead of after shave and your wife 'll attack you when you walk in the house, well mine does, :)

FatHands likes this.
  10. FatHands

Brilliant, cheers Tom, i've got a pot somewhere which is still soft so whatever is left after the sink job i will pop on after a shave! :D

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

If that don't work fats you're married to a zombie, even dogs jump on my legs and start thrusting when i use plumbers mait, :)

FatHands likes this.
  12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If boxed in with t&g style cladding, you can have part of it as removable plop-off/plop-on doors using the tongue and front of groove as door edges, so blending in(apart from a small pull knob showing).
    That'll give you access if ever needed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.
  13. FatHands

ha ha! i will try it instead of the usual aftershave when its time for naughties Tom and let you know mate! ;)

14. FatHands

Thanks Andy, I need to sort out the upstairs bathroom which is far bigger than the ground-floor so will bear this method in mind for sorting out the waste area there.

Cheers for all your help.
    Fats